Two Property Boss Fraudsters Sentenced to Two Years in Prison
Residents from Iceland, Valur Blomsterberg, and building contractor Legowo Wisnu Saputro were sentenced to two years in prison by the panel of judges at the Gianyar District Court. Both were proven to have defrauded the director of PT Badak Bali Properties, Dominick Veliko Shapko.
“It is stated that the defendant Valur Blomsterberg has been legally and convincingly proven to have committed the criminal act of fraud. The defendant is sentenced to two years’ imprisonment,” said Chief Judge Aulia Ali Reza during the trial at the Gianyar District Court on Wednesday (13/5/2026).
Aulia stated that Legowo was also sentenced to two years in prison. Valur and Legowo, who were tried in separate case files, were stated to have been legally and convincingly proven to have committed the criminal act as regulated in Article 492 of the Criminal Code in conjunction with Article 20.
“It is stated that the defendant Legowo Wisnu Saputro has been legally proven to have committed the criminal act of fraud. The defendant is sentenced to two years’ imprisonment,” said Aulia.
In response to the verdict, Valur and Legowo stated that they accepted the panel of judges’ ruling. Meanwhile, the public prosecutor still stated that they would consider it.
The panel of judges’ verdict was lighter than the prosecutor’s demand. Previously, Valur and Legowo were demanded a prison sentence of three years and four months.
“Regarding the verdict, the defendant states that they will consider it. From the public prosecutor, they state that they will consider it,” he said.
The panel of judges assessed that Valur and Legowo had different roles in the fraud case. Valur was deemed to have deliberately encouraged Dominick to use Legowo’s services as the contractor for the villa construction project in Mas Village, Ubud Subdistrict, Gianyar.
Valur also asked Dominick to make a written agreement with Legowo. The contents of the agreement were deemed more favourable to Legowo’s side than to Dominick as the director of PT Badak Bali Properties.
Dominick was once asked to revise the agreement by his colleague. However, that advice was ignored by the US property boss.
“Witness Dominick entrusted the supervision of the villa construction in Mas Village to Valur. The defendant Valur also received Rp75 million every month for supervising the villa project,” said Aulia.
However, that trust was abused. With a villa construction budget of Rp9 billion, the project progress, which should have reached 90 percent, had only been realised at around 22 percent.
Dominick discovered this condition when he returned to Bali after temporarily going back to his country. Previously, Valur had promised that the villa project would be completed on time.
In fact, even after the deadline had passed, the villa construction in Mas Village was still at the framework and structural stage.
“Still at the framework stage and structural stage. The progress should have been greater. Thus, it caused losses to PT Badak Bali Property,” he said.
The panel of judges assessed that Valur’s actions fulfilled the elements of the criminal act of fraud as regulated in Article 492 of the Criminal Code because it was done with malicious intent.
Meanwhile, Legowo was deemed to have unlawfully benefited himself by using deceit. During the trial, Legowo admitted to all his actions.
Dominick entrusted Legowo to build the villa in Mas Village with a project value of Rp13 billion. However, the funds that had been disbursed amounted to Rp9 billion were suspected of being misused.
Dominick hoped that the physical progress of the building would be clearly visible before the remaining Rp6 billion was disbursed. However, most of the Rp9 billion funds were instead used by Legowo to buy a personal car, a truck, building materials, and to finance another project in Tanjung Benoa, Badung.
Legowo also gave Rp1 billion to Valur in stages three times.
“Not all the money from Bali Properties was for the villa construction in Mas Village. A portion, amounting to Rp1 billion, was given to Valur. The defendant (Legowo) admitted to giving cash back (to Valur) in stages three times totalling Rp1 billion,” he said.