Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Two doctors summoned as expert witnesses at trial over acid attack on KontraS activist Andrie Yunus

| | Source: MEDIA_INDONESIA Translated from Indonesian | Legal
Two doctors summoned as expert witnesses at trial over acid attack on KontraS activist Andrie Yunus
Image: MEDIA_INDONESIA

The trial of the acid attack on KontraS activist Andrie Yunus resumed at Military Court II-08 in Jakarta on Wednesday, 20 May 2026. In the hearing, the military prosecutor presented two doctors who treated Andrie as expert witnesses.

Four Indonesian Army soldiers are defendants: Staff Sergeant Edi Sudarko, First Lieutenant Budhi Hariyanto Widhi, Captain Nandala Dwi Prasetyo, and First Lieutenant Sami Lakka.

The two doctors were Plastic Surgery Specialist Parintosa Atmodiwirjo and Ophthalmology Specialist Faraby Martha. Both were sworn in before giving evidence to the panel of judges.

“What kind of doctors?” asked the presiding judge Colonel Chk Fredy Ferdian Isnartanto during the hearing.

“Plastic surgery and eye specialists,” replied the military prosecutor.

Parintosa is known to be the head of the medical team caring for Andrie Yunus since 13 March 2026.

“All present?” asked the judge.

“Present,” replied the prosecutor.

After the expert examination, the court will proceed with reading the indictment against the four defendants.

Previously, the military prosecutor charged the defendants with carrying out the acid attack on Andrie Yunus because they were unhappy with the activist’s activities.

The indictment states that the defendants first learned of Andrie when the KontraS activist disrupted a meeting on the revision of the TNI Law at the Fairmont Hotel, South Jakarta, on 16 March 2025.

“With that incident, the defendants held that Andrie Yunus had insulted the TNI institution, even trampling on the TNI,” the prosecutor said as he read the indictment.

The defendants are said to have subsequently sought information about Andrie’s activities and divided roles before carrying out the acid attack.

For their actions, the four defendants are charged with violating Article 469(1) read together with Article 468(1) and Article 467(1) in conjunction with Article 20 letter C of Law Number 1 Year 2023 concerning the Indonesian Penal Code. (Z-2)

FOUR TNI soldiers suspected of being the perpetrators of the acid attack on KontraS activist Andrie Yunus attend the indictment hearing at Military Court II-08 Jakarta, on Wednesday, 20 May.

Executive Director of Amnesty International Indonesia, Usman Hamid, criticised the military justice process in the case.

The Judicial Commission (KY) opened the possibility of following up on alleged ethical violations by judges in the case.

Defendant Corporal Edi Sudarko said the acid attack on Andrie Yunus was triggered by the victim’s act perceived as overacting during the meeting on the TNI Bill.

RSCM said the condition of KontraS activist Andrie Yunus continued to improve after follow-up surgeries due to the acid attack; the victim’s activities remain restricted for optimal recovery.

DANDENMA Bais TNI Colonel Inf Heri Heryadi was presented as a witness, stating that the two defendants were evasive when asked about the cause of their injuries.

View JSON | Print