Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Two Consecutive Days of Clashes in Tanah Abang: Pramono's Response

| | Source: REPUBLIKA Translated from Indonesian | Politics
Two Consecutive Days of Clashes in Tanah Abang: Pramono's Response
Image: REPUBLIKA

Clashes that occurred in the Petamburan area, Tanah Abang, Central Jakarta, have attracted public attention. This is because the clashes happened twice in two consecutive days, on Thursday (16/4/2026) and Friday (17/4/2026).

Jakarta Governor Pramono Anung said he had received reports regarding the repeated clashes in the Tanah Abang area. He asked the authorities to take firm action. Moreover, the action has happened repeatedly.

“For the clashes, I have already received reports from the Central Jakarta mayor and I ask for firm action to be taken together with law enforcement officers because this is repeated. One, two, three times, right? And that is so it does not happen again,” he said in Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta, on Sunday (19/4/2026).

Previously, the clashes in the Tanah Abang area were uploaded on the Instagram social media account @jakpus24jam.id on Thursday night. A day later, the clashes occurred again on Friday night. Even several traders’ stalls were burned as a result of the clashes.

Tanah Abang Police Chief, AKBP Dhimas Prasetyo, confirmed the clash incident. According to him, the clash occurred due to an act of shooting firecrackers or fireworks.

“There was friction last night between residents of RW 11 and RW 05 in Petamburan Ward. This happened because of the shooting of firecrackers/fireworks directed at each RW,” he said when confirmed.

According to him, the fireworks shooting then provoked friction between residents. As a result, clashes arose that caused two fruit vendor carts to burn.

He said that the police had come to the scene to calm the incident so that the clashes did not spread. The handling was also assisted by firefighters and the Civil Service Police Unit (Satpol PP).

“It subsided in less than half an hour. What burned were two fruit carts and no buildings or shops were burned,” said Dhimas.

View JSON | Print