Trump to Extend Ceasefire with Iran at Pakistan's Request
US President Donald Trump has issued his latest statement regarding the situation with Iran, delivered via the Truth Social platform. According to Al Jazeera on Wednesday (22 April 2026), in his statement, Trump revealed his decision to delay an attack on Iran, taken following a request from Pakistan. “Based on the fact that the Iranian Government is deeply divided, which is not surprising, and at the request of Field Marshal Asim Munir and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif of Pakistan, we have been asked to postpone our attack on the country of Iran until the leaders and their representatives can present a unified proposal,” the statement read. Trump emphasised that the US military remains on high alert despite the postponement of the attack. Trump stated he would extend the ceasefire until Iran’s proposal is submitted and the second round of peace negotiations is concluded. “Therefore, I have directed our military to continue the blockade and, in all other respects, remain ready and able, and therefore will extend the ceasefire until their proposal is submitted and the discussions are resolved, one way or another,” he continued. Previously, Pakistani mediators stated they had not yet received an official response from Iran regarding participation in the second round of talks with the United States. Islamabad’s Information Minister, Attaullah Tarar, said that as of now, they were still awaiting confirmation from Iran. “The official response from the Iranian side regarding confirmation of the delegation to attend the Islamabad Peace Talks is still awaited,” Tarar wrote on his X account, as reported by AFP on Tuesday (21 April 2026). He said the decision was crucial, given that the agreed ceasefire period was due to end in a few hours. Tarar noted that Iran’s decision would determine the continuation of the diplomatic process, especially ahead of the expiry of the two-week ceasefire between the conflicting parties. Trump had previously stated that his country was in a strong position ahead of the second round of talks with Iran. The follow-up negotiations are planned to take place in Islamabad, Pakistan, in the near future. “We will get a great deal. I think they have no choice… We are in a very, very strong negotiating position,” Trump told CNBC broadcaster, as reported by AFP on Tuesday (21 April 2026). Meanwhile, the ceasefire between Iran, the United States, and Israel, in effect since 8 April, is scheduled to end on Wednesday night Washington time, according to the White House.