Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Trump Temporarily Halts Air Strikes on Iran Amid Ammunition and Diplomatic Concerns

| Source: DETIK Translated from Indonesian | Politics
Trump Temporarily Halts Air Strikes on Iran Amid Ammunition and Diplomatic Concerns
Image: DETIK

Iran passed another night without US air strikes on Sunday, as President Donald Trump reportedly ordered a temporary halt to the attacks amid concerns over dwindling ammunition supplies and a possible diplomatic opening. The pause follows 13 consecutive days of US bombardment and comes as Trump had been preparing for a major new escalation, which he said would be larger in scale than Operation Epic Fury.

In an interview with Axios on Thursday, Trump stated he was close to making a decision on a massive new strike, saying, ‘I’m considering a massive attack. Bigger than before. I’m almost at a decision. We are fully prepared for it.’ He added that Israel could join the operation ‘almost instantly’ if requested.

However, The New York Times and Axios reported on Sunday that Trump decided to delay the strikes. The Times, citing administration officials, said the decision was driven by concerns that an escalation could ‘dangerously deplete already dwindling stocks of Patriot missile interceptors and other air defence munitions in the Middle East.’ The decision followed a meeting between Trump, his top advisers, and senior cabinet members on Friday.

Axios, quoting two anonymous sources, reported that it was unclear whether Trump’s order to pause was a one-time directive or if the halt would continue. The report suggested the decision ‘reflects his willingness to give diplomacy more room and a recognition that, without returning to major combat operations, the current level of US strikes has reached the limits of its effectiveness.’ Sources indicated that the US military is preparing plans for a possible return to large-scale combat operations.

The pause has revived hopes for a return to negotiations after nearly two weeks of consecutive nightly US bombing. However, US media also noted that the halt may reflect pressure on stocks of Patriot interceptors and other weaponry. Fighting in the Strait of Hormuz had derailed diplomatic efforts between Washington and Tehran, with the conflict expanding beyond the vital energy corridor to include attacks on US bases, regional shipping, and Gulf allies. CNN, citing an unnamed Pentagon source, reported that US operations against Iran have been ‘suspended.’

View JSON | Print