Tourists Heading to Gunungkidul Asked to Pay a Retribution Fee, Tourism Office Responds
A viral video showing visitors being charged a retribution at the Parangtritis Retribution Collection Point (TPR) in Parangtritis, Bantul Regency, en route to Gunungkidul Regency, has prompted a response from the Dinas Pariwisata. The post shows tourists about to go to the Bukit Paralayang area, but are still asked to pay. “So far, visitors to Gunungkidul who pass through the Parangtritis TPR are not charged, provided they indicate their destination,” said Markus when contacted by phone on Wednesday (20 May 2026). “Visitors simply say they are going to Gunungkidul, they will not be charged a retribution,” he said. Markus acknowledged that from field reports, there are often visitors who claim to be going to Gunungkidul but end up stopping at Pantai Parangtritis. As a result, it is only the honesty of visitors that is relied upon by field officers. It should be noted that from night until early morning, Parangtritis Beach is guarded by village-level authorities (kalurahan). “There was a report from the youth association on duty, that those who (say they are going to Gunungkidul) actually go to Parangtritis,” Markus said. In the future, when the Southern Crossroad (JJLS) connects Bantul and Gunungkidul, visitors passing through the Parangtritis area will still be charged. “Later, if they are going to Gunungkidul, they can go directly via the JJLS,” Markus said. The Bantul Regency Government is committed not to levy retribution on visitors to Gunungkidul. Deputy Regent Aris Suharyanta even conducted a spot check at the TPR to verify this. “All visitors from any origin who are heading to Gunungkidul will not be charged a retribution,” Aris said some time ago.