Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Top 3: LPDP Scholar's Child Becomes Foreign National, MBG Budget Breakdown, and TNI Forces in Gaza

| Source: TEMPO_ID | Politics
Tempo compiled three articles that became the most popular national news stories on Saturday, 21 February 2026. The stories include the LPDP summoning the husband of a scholarship recipient who boasted about her child becoming a foreign national, the Foreign Minister's statement on TNI forces in Gaza, and details of education budget cuts to fund the free nutritious meals programme (MBG) as presented by plaintiffs at the Constitutional Court.

**LPDP Summons Husband of Scholarship Alumna Who Flaunted Child's Foreign Nationality**

The Indonesia Endowment Fund for Education (LPDP) will summon the husband of Dwi Sasetyaningtyas, known as DS, an influencer and LPDP alumna. DS drew public attention after uploading a video expressing her joy at obtaining a British passport for her child. The video went viral on social media.

In an official statement, the LPDP said DS's husband, identified by the initials AP, is also a scholarship alumnus. AP is suspected of not having completed his mandatory service period in Indonesia after finishing his studies.

"The LPDP is currently conducting an internal review regarding these allegations. The LPDP will summon AP to request clarification," the LPDP wrote via its official X account on Friday, 20 February 2026.

Under the regulations, all LPDP awardees and alumni are required to serve a contribution period in Indonesia lasting twice the duration of their studies plus one year. If this obligation is not fulfilled, the LPDP stated it may impose sanctions up to and including full repayment of all scholarship funds.

Regarding DS, the LPDP confirmed that she completed her master's degree, graduating on 31 August 2017, and fulfilled her service obligation in accordance with regulations. As such, the LPDP said it no longer has any legal ties with DS.

Previously, DS had showcased her child's foreign citizenship status, which sparked public debate. Her commitment as an alumna of a state-funded scholarship was called into question.

**Foreign Minister Says Indonesia Will Only Defend Itself If Attacked in Gaza**

Foreign Minister Sugiono said Indonesia's involvement in the International Stabilisation Force (ISF) is not to conduct military operations in the Gaza Strip. Sugiono stressed that Indonesian forces are deploying to Gaza not to engage in armed conflict.

Sugiono said Indonesian troops would only defend themselves if attacked whilst in the Gaza Strip. He noted that this principle is included in the rules of engagement.

"Of course there are matters pertaining to the Rules of Engagement — what we can do as forces if attacked, in order to defend ourselves," Sugiono said in an online press briefing on Saturday, 21 February 2026.

According to Sugiono, Indonesia will also not be involved in disarming armed groups in the Gaza Strip. Indonesia, he claimed, is only involved in humanitarian efforts. "Indonesia's involvement in the ISF, the contribution of Indonesian forces, is not to carry out demilitarisation activities or military operations," he said.

Indonesia has committed to sending 8,000 troops to the Gaza Strip after joining the Board of Peace initiated by United States President Donald Trump. This number is larger than any other country involved in the ISF. The total combined forces for the Gaza mission are estimated at approximately 20,000 troops.

**Education Budget Cuts for MBG According to Plaintiffs**

Plaintiffs challenging the free nutritious meals (MBG) project at the Constitutional Court said that the MBG, budgeted through the National Nutrition Agency, has resulted in significant changes to the 2026 education budget structure.

Based on data held by the plaintiffs' legal team, several education components experienced reduced allocations after the MBG project was incorporated into the 20 per cent education budget scheme within the state budget (APBN).

Abdul Hakim, a member of the plaintiffs' legal team, said claims by the Minister of Primary and Secondary Education were unfounded. Previously, Minister Abdul Mu'ti had stated that the MBG does not reduce the education budget. "The fact is there have been reductions in a number of budget lines that are actually crucial for educational operations," Hakim said when contacted on Saturday, 21 February 2026.

In total, the education budget did increase from Rp 724.26 trillion in 2025 (under Presidential Regulation No. 201 of 2024) to Rp 769.08 trillion in 2026 (under Presidential Regulation No. 118 of 2025). However, the significant surge in the National Nutrition Agency's allocation for MBG amounted to Rp 223.55 trillion.

In 2025, the education budget allocation for the National Nutrition Agency was recorded at Rp 56.8 trillion. In 2026, the figure jumped to Rp 223.55 trillion. This nearly fourfold increase has become the largest component of education spending through ministries and agencies.
View JSON | Print