Mon, 07 Feb 2000

Three die of electric shock

SEMARANG: Three people died and 14 needed to be hospitalized when they were electrocuted as they were erecting a large television antenna at a house in Rowoseneng village, Kandangan district on Saturday afternoon.

Central Java Police spokesman Lt. Col. M. Ramlie, said neighbors of Hadi Winoto were helping the 50-year-old man when the roof suddenly collapsed and one of its wires accidentally connected with an electric cable.

"The result was devastating. Three men were electrified as they were holding on to the antenna pole while 14 others were injured," Ramlie said.

The house owner, Hadi, and neighbors Ramli and Satiman were identified as the deceased.(har/edt)