Thousands flee as Mt. Talang erupts
Thousands flee as Mt. Talang erupts
Syofiardi Bachyul Jb and Yuli Tri Suwarni, The Jakarta Post, Padang/Bandung
After a series of earthquakes that have rattled many cities in
Sumatra, the Mount Talang volcano in Solok regency, West Sumatra
erupted on Tuesday, sending hot ash high into the air and causing
residents living on its slopes to flee to safety.
The 2,572-meter volcano spewed hot ash 10 meters high at 3
a.m., causing a layer of ash 20 centimeters thick to settle over
five villages on its slopes. No casualties have been reported so
far.
Solok regent Gamawan Fauzi told The Jakarta Post by phone on
Tuesday that some 20,000 residents in the regency's five villages
-- Nagari Batu Alam, Bukit Sileh, Batu Bajanjang, Koto Laweh and
Air Batumbuk -- have been evacuated to safer places following the
eruption.
"The regental administration has helped by providing trucks
and buses to take residents to school buildings and district
offices, as well as setting up tents," he said.
He said there was no reason to panic as the interval between
eruptions had decreased as of Tuesday afternoon, but said he
would only send residents back home after he had received reports
from experts sent to inspect the site.
Chairman of the Indonesian Geological Association in West
Sumatra, Ade Edwar, told the Post by phone from Solok that the
eruption was likely triggered by the 6.7-magnitude earthquake
that hit Padang on Sunday. The epicenter of Sunday's earthquake
lies near Siberut island, some 115 kilometers west of the city.
Mount Talang itself lies 40 kilometers east of Padang.
In Bandung, director of volcanology, mitigation and geological
disasters, Yousana OP Siagian, said the eruption was likely to
have been triggered by the two recent massive earthquakes, the
epicenters of which were located in the western coastal area of
Sumatra.
Parts of the island of Sumatra are still recovering from the
quake-triggered tsunami that swept Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam and
North Sumatra in December last year. In March, another massive
earthquake again devastated its western coastal area, with Nias
island being worst affected.
"Before April 10 this year, the volcano's status was still
normal. It suddenly showed increased activity on April 10 and 11
and then started spewing hot ash (on Tuesday)," Yousana said,
warning that tectonic earthquakes might, theoretically, rattle
lava deep inside the earth causing it to move to the surface.
The volcanology, mitigation and geological disaster office put
the volcano on a "watch" status on Monday after recording 24
tectonic earthquakes near Solok on April 10. The next day, the
volcano's status was increased to alert, after 51 regular
earthquakes and 158 volcanic earthquakes were recorded.
He said the local administration had been asked to evacuate
residents, especially those living in Bukit Sileh village, some
4.5 kilometers away from the volcano, which previously erupted on
1833, 1843, 1845, 1883, 1963, 1967, 1981 and 2001.
"But Tuesday's eruption was the biggest so far," Yousana said.
President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono is scheduled to visit
Padang on Wednesday, where he will meet with residents who are
currently staying in emergency shelters.
Syofiardi Bachyul Jb and Yuli Tri Suwarni, The Jakarta Post, Padang/Bandung
After a series of earthquakes that have rattled many cities in
Sumatra, the Mount Talang volcano in Solok regency, West Sumatra
erupted on Tuesday, sending hot ash high into the air and causing
residents living on its slopes to flee to safety.
The 2,572-meter volcano spewed hot ash 10 meters high at 3
a.m., causing a layer of ash 20 centimeters thick to settle over
five villages on its slopes. No casualties have been reported so
far.
Solok regent Gamawan Fauzi told The Jakarta Post by phone on
Tuesday that some 20,000 residents in the regency's five villages
-- Nagari Batu Alam, Bukit Sileh, Batu Bajanjang, Koto Laweh and
Air Batumbuk -- have been evacuated to safer places following the
eruption.
"The regental administration has helped by providing trucks
and buses to take residents to school buildings and district
offices, as well as setting up tents," he said.
He said there was no reason to panic as the interval between
eruptions had decreased as of Tuesday afternoon, but said he
would only send residents back home after he had received reports
from experts sent to inspect the site.
Chairman of the Indonesian Geological Association in West
Sumatra, Ade Edwar, told the Post by phone from Solok that the
eruption was likely triggered by the 6.7-magnitude earthquake
that hit Padang on Sunday. The epicenter of Sunday's earthquake
lies near Siberut island, some 115 kilometers west of the city.
Mount Talang itself lies 40 kilometers east of Padang.
In Bandung, director of volcanology, mitigation and geological
disasters, Yousana OP Siagian, said the eruption was likely to
have been triggered by the two recent massive earthquakes, the
epicenters of which were located in the western coastal area of
Sumatra.
Parts of the island of Sumatra are still recovering from the
quake-triggered tsunami that swept Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam and
North Sumatra in December last year. In March, another massive
earthquake again devastated its western coastal area, with Nias
island being worst affected.
"Before April 10 this year, the volcano's status was still
normal. It suddenly showed increased activity on April 10 and 11
and then started spewing hot ash (on Tuesday)," Yousana said,
warning that tectonic earthquakes might, theoretically, rattle
lava deep inside the earth causing it to move to the surface.
The volcanology, mitigation and geological disaster office put
the volcano on a "watch" status on Monday after recording 24
tectonic earthquakes near Solok on April 10. The next day, the
volcano's status was increased to alert, after 51 regular
earthquakes and 158 volcanic earthquakes were recorded.
He said the local administration had been asked to evacuate
residents, especially those living in Bukit Sileh village, some
4.5 kilometers away from the volcano, which previously erupted on
1833, 1843, 1845, 1883, 1963, 1967, 1981 and 2001.
"But Tuesday's eruption was the biggest so far," Yousana said.
President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono is scheduled to visit
Padang on Wednesday, where he will meet with residents who are
currently staying in emergency shelters.