Tense Standoff: Russian Aircraft Approaches British Carrier, F-35 Jets Scrambled
A Russian patrol aircraft carried out ‘unsafe’ activity near Britain’s flagship aircraft carrier, which was conducting a NATO air defence operation off the coast of Iceland. The UK Ministry of Defence said on Monday that the Russian Bear-F patrol plane ‘repeatedly approached’ the carrier group last week, passing HMS Prince of Wales ‘too close’ at low altitude and dropping a number of sonar devices nearby. Two British F-35 jets were subsequently scrambled from the carrier to intercept and escort the Russian patrol aircraft until it departed. ‘This activity was unsafe and unprofessional,’ a Ministry of Defence spokesperson said of the incident, which occurred on Thursday in the Norwegian Sea in the High North region. The allegations emerged as the ministry said Defence Secretary Dan Jarvis and Icelandic Foreign Minister Thorgerdur Katrin Gunnarsdottir visited HMS Prince of Wales over the weekend. HMS Prince of Wales is the Royal Navy aircraft carrier leading a flotilla of vessels on a mission to defend the North Atlantic ‘against increasing Russian threats’. During the mission, F-35 fighter jets conducted NATO air defence operations from a European carrier for the first time, amid rising tensions with Russia. Military experts and European leaders say Russia has stepped up ‘hybrid warfare’ tactics in the strategic region. ‘We are living in increasingly dangerous and uncertain times, and deployments like this, supported by allies and partners including Iceland, enhance our deterrence and defence as part of NATO,’ Jarvis said in a statement. Gunnarsdottir added in the statement that the deployment was ‘a clear demonstration of NATO’s increased presence in this strategically important region’. Jarvis took up his post less than a month ago after his predecessor, John Healey, resigned. Healey accused the government of failing to allocate sufficient funds in a modernisation plan to protect Britain. The shock resignation triggered last-minute negotiations for additional funding for the 10-year Defence Investment Plan. Outgoing Prime Minister Keir Starmer announced the plan last week, stating the government aims to spend nearly £300 billion over the next four years. The proposal estimates an additional £15 billion will be allocated to defence spending by 2030, the year British intelligence predicts Russia could attack a NATO country. However, the amount is still far below the £28 billion reportedly requested by the Ministry of Defence.