Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Sultan HB X Comments on the Reactivation of Adisutjipto Airport

| Source: TEMPO_ID_BISNIS Translated from Indonesian | Infrastructure

The central government plans to revive and optimise commercial flights at several airports, including Adisutjipto Airport in Yogyakarta. The Governor of the Special Region of Yogyakarta, Sri Sultan Hamengku Buwono X, believes this is highly feasible given that flight activities are still currently operational at the airport located in Sleman Regency.

“Regarding the activation of Adisutjipto Airport, it is possible, as there are still flights operating there now,” the Sultan stated in Yogyakarta on Wednesday, 3 June 2026.

Sultan HB X explained that the main issue for reactivating Adisutjipto Airport currently lies in regulations regarding aircraft types. Jet-engine aircraft are now primarily allocated to the new Yogyakarta International Airport (YIA) in Kulon Progo Regency, whereas Adisutjipto Airport is intended for propeller-driven aircraft. Unlike YIA, which serves international flights, Adisutlag Airport currently operates more ATR-type or short-distance regional passenger aircraft, such as routes between Yogyakarta-Jakarta and Yogyakarta-Karimunjawa.

“The issue is purely regulatory. Jet aircraft are now operated at the new YIA airport, while Adisutjipto Airport handles propeller planes,” said Sultan HB X.

The Sultan further noted that the full authority to reactivate the airport rests with Angkasa Pura, the operator, which determines the feasibility of investment at the site. Regarding the reactivation issue, Sultan HB X has not yet communicated with Angkasa Pura.

“The airport is handled by Angkasa Pura, and they will decide whether to invest there or not. So far, there has been no communication,” added the Sultan.

Meanwhile, Ike Yutiane, Business Support Department Head of PT Angkasa Pura Indonesia at Adisutjipto Airport, stated that they cannot yet provide a detailed response or information regarding the news of the reactivation. “An official statement will only be released once a decision has been made that can be communicated to the public,” he said.

The reactivation plan stems from a direct instruction from President Prabowo Subianto, who desires the optimisation of commercial activities at several airports, including Adisutjipto in Yogyakarta and Husein Sastranegara in Bandung. Following this, Deputy Minister of Defence Donny Ermawan met with the Deputy Minister of National Development Planning/Deputy Head of the National Development Planning Agency, Febrian Alphyanto Ruddyard, in Jakarta on Monday, 25 May 2026.

According to official information from the Ministry of Defence, the discussion focused on accelerating national strategic programmes related to defence assets, transport infrastructure, and the aerospace industry. The Ministry of Defence expressed regulatory support and full commitment to the shared use of Indonesian Air Force airbases for these commercial civil flights.

Regarding technical constraints, such as apron capacity and flight scheduling, the government will coordinate across sectors with the Ministry of Transport and local governments. During the meeting, Donny emphasised the importance of maintaining military readiness while simultaneously boosting regional economies, noting that flight timings and apron management must be meticulously arranged so that military and civil activities can coexist harmoniously without interference.

View JSON | Print