Sugiono Still Struggling to Obtain Information on Indonesian Nationals Kidnapped by Israel
Indonesian Foreign Minister Sugiono says he remains unable to obtain information about a number of Indonesian citizens who are part of the relief flotilla Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) bound for Gaza, who were kidnapped by Israel.
“So we have already been coordinating with colleagues at the Foreign Ministry in Jordan and Turkey to verify the condition of our colleagues who were intercepted and detained by Israel. So far, the information we have received is still difficult because communication is limited,” Sugiono said at the parliament complex on Wednesday (20 May).
He praised the spirit of the Indonesian nationals who joined the Global Sumud Flotilla, saying it reflected a desire to create a better situation for the Palestinian people.
“We hope they are all right. We will also continue to coordinate because we do not have direct contacts. So we ask for help from our colleagues who first experienced a similar fate with their own citizens, and then from colleagues in Jordan and Turkey,” he added.
As of Wednesday (20 May), the Indonesian volunteers on the GSF total nine people and have all been detained by Israel.
“According to the latest information (07:13 WIB), the nine Indonesian nationals who are members of Global Peace Convoy Indonesia (GPCI) taking part in the GSF 2.0 mission have all been captured by Israel,” said the spokesperson for the Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Yvonne Mewengkang, in a statement.