Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Stopping violence key to lasting peace in Aceh: GAM

| Source: JP
Stopping violence key to lasting peace in Aceh: GAM

Tiarma Siboro, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

The "positive and constructive" results achieved during the
third round of peace talks between the government of Indonesia
and leaders of the Free Aceh Movement (GAM) will be worthless if
violence prevails in the province, a senior GAM official has
said.

"The peace talks between the leaders of the two warring sides
will mean nothing if the violence continues in the field and the
Acehnese people continue to suffer," GAM political affairs
officer Mohammed Nur Djuli told The Jakarta Post on Monday from
Sweden.

"We are now waiting for the next step from the Indonesian
government so as to see whether they have the willingness to
support the ongoing peace process. I don't want to speculate
about the relationship between Indonesia's civilian government
and its military, but I can guarantee you that we (the GAM
leaders) can control our fighters in the field," he said.

Mohammed expressed optimism, however, that both sides could
reach an agreement in the field by July. If not, "why should we
come to Helsinki? Let's say that we are cautiously optimistic."

Late last week, the government and GAM leaders ended a third
round of peace negotiations in Helsinki, Finland, with both sides
citing progress. The two sides have agreed to hold another round
of peace talks from May 26 to May 31 in a bid to seek a lasting
solution to end the almost three decades long conflict that has
claimed at least 12,000 lives, mostly civilians.

The latest round of peace talks, which started in January
(also in Helsinki), was triggered by the Dec. 26 tsunami
disaster, which killed around 160,000 people in Aceh alone, and
intended to pave the way for the international humanitarian aid
operation. It was the first time the two sides had met at the
negotiating table since May 2003, when Jakarta declared martial
law and launched a major military offensive in the province.

Aceh has been a battleground between government and rebel
forces since 1976 when GAM launched its independence campaign for
the oil rich province, angered by what it said was Jakarta's
pillaging of the province's resources.

From the field, GAM spokesman in East Aceh, Teungku Kafrawi,
hailed the outcome of the latest Aceh talks and vowed that the
guerrillas would follow whatever orders were given by their
political leaders.

"We are the military wing. We are not talking about politics,
but follow the orders of GAM's leaders," Kafrawi told the Post.

Meanwhile, the Indonesian Military (TNI) said that it would
continue to hunt down rebels in Aceh despite the latest peace
talks.

"Of course, whatever the results of the peace talks in
Helsinki, we'll happily welcome them. But up here, the operation
aimed at cracking down on the secessionist movement still goes
on," Aceh Military Operations Commander Maj. Gen. Endang Suwarya
said from his headquarters in the provincial capital of Banda
Aceh.

"Every action of the TNI is based on government decisions.
But, if you ask me, a cease-fire would be useless," he told
Reuters. "GAM will only use a cease-fire as a way to consolidate
its forces, and only a peace deal will be able to end the
fighting," added Endang, who is due to be promoted to Army
Headquarters in Jakarta.

Endang, however, denied previous reports that the TNI planned
to boost the number of its troops in Aceh.

Currently, there are at least 38,000 troops in the province.

One significant step forward made during the latest Helsinki
talks was the acceptance of the principle of outside monitoring.
The European Union, which has helped finance the negotiations,
and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), have been
mentioned as possible monitors, according to former Finnish
president Martti Ahtisaari, who mediated at the talks.
View JSON | Print