South Korea Denies Sending Troops to Strait of Hormuz to Assist US Attack on Iran
South Korea’s Foreign Ministry stated on Wednesday (22/7) that the United States did not request Seoul to send either troops or military equipment to the Strait of Hormuz. Earlier the same day, South Korean daily newspaper Dong-A Ilbo reported that the US had asked allies, including South Korea, to send warships to the Strait of Hormuz to ensure freedom of navigation. “There has been no request from the US to send troops or specific equipment (to the Strait of Hormuz),” the statement said. However, Seoul and Washington continue to discuss various issues, including those related to freedom of passage through the Strait of Hormuz and South Korea’s contribution to it, the Foreign Ministry said. The ministry expressed concern over rising tensions in the Middle East, adding that it continues to monitor the situation closely. The security of international sea lanes and freedom of navigation are in the interest of all countries and must be protected under international law, according to the statement. Previously, on 14 March, US President Donald Trump called on China, France, Japan, South Korea, the United Kingdom, and other nations to send warships to the Strait of Hormuz to secure navigation. He warned NATO allies that the alliance faces a “very dire future” if it fails to secure the strait.