Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Six people killed in Irian Jaya proindependence demonstration

| Source: JP
Six people killed in Irian Jaya proindependence demonstration

By Emmy Fitri

JAYAPURA, Irian Jaya (JP): Police fired upon proindependence
supporters on Saturday in the town of Merauke, some 690
kilometers south of Jayapura, killing at least six people after
an independence rally that reportedly turned violent.

Irian Jaya Police chief Brig. Gen. Sylvanus Y. Wenas confirmed
the incident, saying that the six killed were members of the
separatist Papuan task force.

According to Wenas, the incident occurred among a gathering of
500 people from the Muyu tribe who came to the town's park on
Saturday morning to commemorate the failed Dec. 1, 1961
declaration of independence for West Papua.

He said they did not seem satisfied with Friday's
commemoration at the same location, during which they were
prohibited to hoist the separatist Bintang Kejora (Morning Star)
flag.

"At around 7 a.m., they hoisted the flag, but local
administration officials came and explained to them that in
Merauke the flag may not be hoisted.

"The Muyu people agreed with the explanation and lowered it at
9 a.m. When the flag was lowered and the procession finished,
around 200 members of the Papuan task force then came on the
scene and began disrupting public order," Wenas said.

Then in front of the Merauke Tourism Agency they lowered the
Indonesian red-and-white flag and ripped it apart as a show of
hostility.

Wenas claimed that, armed with traditional bows and arrows,
the task force members then assaulted migrant settlers.

He further claimed that police, who arrived at the scene to
disperse the group, were forced to fire at the rioters as their
lives were in danger.

"The violence was unavoidable, we had to take stern measures
as they violated the agreement made by the Papuan Presidium
Council and the provincial administration," Wenas said.

Based on the agreement, the separatist group is only allowed
to hoist the flag in five regencies, namely Jayapura, Fakfak,
Manokwari, Serui and Jayawijaya.

According to Wenas two migrants from Java also died in the
confusion due to slash wounds.

The latest incident raises the death toll surrounding the Dec.
1 commemorations to 10 people.

Earlier on Friday, two people were killed in Brongkendik
village, Fakfak district.

The incident began when a crowd from Timika, Mimika regency,
attacked and destroyed the Air Besar swimming pool in East Fakfak
district, Antara reported.

Following the incident, Fakfak Police declared 70 members of
the Papuan task force fugitives for attacking policemen in
Fakfak.

Fakfak Police chief Supt. Totok Kasmiarto told Antara on
Saturday that on Friday afternoon 70 members of the Papuan task
force, led by Apolos Krimpul, attacked two teams of policemen in
Brongkendik village.

The police fought back, resulting in the death of two people
while several others were injured.

Police have been on high alert in the province for several
days in anticipation of possible unrest as a result of the
commemorations of the unrecognized Dec. 1 independence
declaration.
View JSON | Print