Semarang Court Allows Sudewo Supporters' Rally, Provided Trial Is Not Disrupted
The Semarang District Court has permitted supporters of inactive Pati Regent Sudewo to hold a rally in front of the Semarang Corruption Court, provided they do not disrupt the trial. Semarang District Court Spokesperson Hadi Sunoto stated in Semarang, Central Java, on Sunday that the agreement was reached during a meeting between rally representatives, the court, and the police on Friday (3/7). “There has been a meeting between rally representatives, the Semarang District Court, and the police. It was agreed that the rally would still be permitted as long as it does not disturb the trial,” he said.
According to Hadi, the follow-up hearing for the alleged corruption case involving Sudewo on Monday (6/7) will still be held offline. He stressed that rally participants are still allowed to express their aspirations in front of the court, but are prohibited from using loudspeakers at a volume that could disrupt the proceedings. “The Corruption Court is not only holding Mr Sudewo’s trial, but also other cases,” he said.
Hadi mentioned that the court would evaluate the trial mechanism if an unconducive situation arises again during the rally. “If it becomes unconducive again, it is possible that the trial will be held online because the mechanism already allows for it,” he stated. Sudewo is being tried for alleged bribery and gratuities from the implementation of several projects at the Directorate General of Railways (DJKA), valued at approximately IDR 3.8 billion. Additionally, he is also charged with receiving IDR 2.4 billion related to the process of filling village official positions in Pati Regency during the 2025 to 2026 period. Previously, the Semarang Corruption Court rejected Sudewo’s exception and ordered the public prosecutor to continue the examination of the case by presenting witnesses. Following the reading of the interim decision on 28 June 2026, a rally by Sudewo’s supporters in front of the court had turned unruly, resulting in an evacuation process by the police that lasted approximately 1.5 hours.