Saudi Arabia and Kuwait Close Access to US Bases, Trump Halts Operations in Strait of Hormuz
REPUBLIKA.CO.ID, WASHINGTON — US President Donald Trump’s sudden decision to halt plans for an escort operation for ships in the Strait of Hormuz is said to have been triggered by refusals from several key US allies in the Gulf region. Saudi Arabia and Kuwait are reported to have suspended US military access to their bases and airspace to support the operation.
An NBC News report states that Trump shocked Gulf allies after announcing the operation named Project Freedom via social media on Sunday afternoon local time. That move is said to have triggered dissatisfaction among Saudi leaders.
According to two US officials, Riyadh then informed Washington that it would not allow US military aircraft to fly from Prince Sultan Air Base in southeastern Riyadh or cross Saudi airspace to support the operation.
Communication efforts between Trump and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman are reported to have yielded no results so far. That situation is said to have forced Trump to temporarily halt Project Freedom in order to restore US military access in the region.
In addition to Saudi Arabia, several close US allies in the Gulf are said to have been surprised by the operation’s announcement. Trump is reported to have only spoken with Qatari leaders after the operation was announced.
A Saudi source told NBC News that Trump and Mohammed bin Salman remain in intensive communication. Saudi officials are also said to have contacted Trump, Vice President JD Vance, US Central Command (CENTCOM), and Foreign Secretary Marco Rubio.
When asked if the Project Freedom announcement surprised Riyadh, the Saudi source said the situation was developing very quickly and unfolding in real time. He added that Saudi Arabia supports Pakistan’s diplomatic efforts to mediate an agreement between Iran and the US to end the conflict.
Meanwhile, a White House official denied any element of surprise to regional allies. According to him, partner countries in the region had been informed in advance about the operation.
A Middle Eastern diplomat said US coordination with Oman was only carried out after Trump announced the operation. “The US announced it first, then only coordinated with us,” he said.