Saudi Arabia Also Launched Attacks on Iran, But Ultimately Chose Peace
REPUBLIKA.CO.ID, RIYADH — Saudi Arabia is reported to have participated in launching secret attacks on Iranian territory in response to a series of strikes that hit the kingdom during the US-Israel assault on the Islamic Republic. However, the attacks were ultimately contained through diplomacy between the two countries. The information was revealed by two Western officials and two Iranian officials familiar with the matter to Reuters. The previously unpublished attacks represent the first known instance of Saudi Arabia directly conducting military action on Iranian soil. According to the two Western officials, the strikes were carried out by the Saudi Air Force at the end of March. One official described the operation as a “proportionate retaliatory strike” after Saudi Arabia had first been targeted. Iran claimed that the attacks were aimed at US bases in Saudi Arabia used to strike Iran. Reuters could not verify the specific targets hit in the operation. The Saudi government also did not explicitly confirm or deny the report. Iran’s Foreign Ministry has not yet provided an official response. Historically, Saudi Arabia has been heavily reliant on US military protection. However, the recent 10-week war has shown that the US defence umbrella could not fully protect the kingdom from missile and drone attacks penetrating its territory. This report also highlights the broadening of the Middle East conflict, which began when the United States and Israel launched airstrikes on Iran on 28 February. Since those attacks, Iran is said to have targeted six Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) member states using missiles and drones. The targets included not only US military bases but also civilian airports, oil facilities, and critical regional infrastructure. Iran also closed the Strait of Hormuz, disrupting global trade. In addition to Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates is also reported to have carried out military strikes on Iran. A Wall Street Journal report on Monday indicated that Abu Dhabi’s actions show that Gulf states are beginning to counter Iran’s pressure more openly. Nevertheless, the approaches of Riyadh and Abu Dhabi differ. The UAE is said to have taken a harder line against Tehran and been more aggressive in applying military pressure. Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia has continued to maintain diplomatic channels with Iran to prevent the conflict from escalating into a wider regional war. Communication between Riyadh and Tehran is reported to continue, including through the Iranian ambassador in Saudi Arabia.