Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Sahroni Highlights Surge in Underage Criminal Perpetrators

| Source: ANTARA_ID Translated from Indonesian | Legal
Sahroni Highlights Surge in Underage Criminal Perpetrators
Image: ANTARA_ID

Jakarta (ANTARA) - Deputy Chairman of Commission III of the Indonesian House of Representatives Ahmad Sahroni has highlighted the phenomenon of the rising number of underage children becoming perpetrators of criminal acts, such as the case of a mob attack that resulted in the death of SMA Negeri 5 Bandung student Muhammad Fadhly Arjasubrata.

Sahroni called on the National Police to act firmly in handling the case involving high school students, in accordance with applicable law.

“Even though the perpetrators are still underage, this is not a matter that can be diverted or taken lightly. The criminal element is very serious because it led to the victim’s death,” Sahroni said in his statement in Jakarta on Thursday.

He stated that the phenomenon of underage children committing criminal acts, even more brutally than adults, should not be treated leniently just because the perpetrators are minors.

According to him, if every case is handled with leniency, it will have a negative impact. Young people will feel they can act recklessly without understanding the legal consequences.

“This also serves as a stern reminder to parents to truly supervise and educate their children. Because negligence in supervision contributes to incidents like this,” he said.

Regarding the mob attack case on Muhammad Fadhly Arjasubrata in Bandung on Tuesday (21/4), the Bandung Police Resort has arrested six students as suspects.

Bandung Police Chief AKBP Anton stated that the handling of the case involving children is carried out with child accompaniment in legal proceedings.

In response to that, Sahroni called for the perpetrators to be charged with the maximum punishment according to existing law.

“I ask the police to remain firm and ensure that the perpetrators are prosecuted with the maximum criminal penalty as per the provisions,” he said.

“Do not let there be an impression that the minor status normalises such serious acts,” Sahroni added.

Previously, an amateur video recording allegedly showing a clash in the Cihampelas area on Friday night (13/3) went viral on social media.

In the video, a man suspected to be the victim of the mob attack is seen lying on the side of the road.

View JSON | Print