Rujak Vendor in West Jakarta Accused of Indecent Assault on Elementary School Student; His Home Raided by Residents
JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com - A rujak vendor with the initials ZS (50) on Jalan Guji Baru, Kebon Jeruk, West Jakarta, is suspected of indecently assaulting an elementary school student.
As observed by Kompas.com at the location, the rujak cart that S usually uses for his daily trade was still in front of his house.
However, his house, located in a residential area within an alley, appeared to be vacant.
Soleh (48), one of the witnesses, said that ZS’s house was raided by a mob on Wednesday evening (May 13, 2026) at around 11:00 PM.
“So, in the middle of the night, it suddenly became very crowded in the street, and people came out. Apparently, they said that the rujak vendor was arrested for indecently assaulting an elementary school student. One of his neighbors is also a victim,” Soleh told Kompas.com at the location on Sunday (May 17, 2026).
“They said that the victim was questioned and then told her family. From there, they came to his house. They said it had been happening for a while,” Soleh added.
During the raid, residents shouted at the perpetrator because they were angry about his immoral actions.
“It was very crowded, and people were angry. But they didn’t physically assault him; everyone was safe,” he said.
Soleh also revealed that the perpetrator was known as a pious man and used to be a religious teacher for children in the neighborhood.
“Yes, he is indeed a religious teacher, but it was in the past. It seems like he still does it now, but with fewer students. Most people know him as a rujak vendor, but he still often participates in activities at the mosque,” Soleh said.
“As far as I know, this is the only victim, but they say there are others too, but the residents here don’t know who they are yet. The important thing is that he has been taken to the police,” he added.
After being raided by residents, the perpetrator was then secured by the local community leaders.
The perpetrator was picked up by police officers and taken to the Kebon Jeruk Police Station for further investigation.
The victim’s family had already filed a police report at the West Jakarta Metropolitan Police on Wednesday afternoon.
“So, before the evening incident (the raid), in the afternoon, the victim and her parents had already filed a police report at the Polres. We only secured him during the incident,” Aqsha said to Kompas.com via text message on Sunday.
Aqsha also stated that the investigation and further handling of this case have been handed over to the PPA-PPO Unit of the West Jakarta Metropolitan Police.
KOMPAS.com is committed to providing clear, trustworthy, and balanced facts. Support the sustainability of quality journalism and enjoy ad-free reading by joining KOMPAS.com Plus now.