Rubio: Shooting at White House Dinner "an Unforeseen Situation"
Washington (ANTARA) - US Secretary of State Marco Rubio described the shooting that occurred at a dinner for journalists at the White House on Saturday (25/4) as “an unforeseen situation”. “It was an unforeseen situation in which one individual could disrupt one of Washington’s biggest nights, especially when the president is present,” Rubio told Fox News on Monday. Rubio explained that immediately after the shooting, he headed to the White House Command Centre to join President Donald Trump and ensure the continuity of government. Earlier on Saturday night, gunfire was heard at the Washington Hilton hotel in the US capital, where a dinner with White House correspondents and members of the American administration was taking place. All those present, including Trump and First Lady Melania, were evacuated. The suspect was quickly detained, but a Secret Service agent was injured. Trump said the dinner would be rescheduled within the next 30 days. The suspect was later identified as Cole Allen, who has frequently criticised the US government over Trump’s reluctance to provide aid to Ukraine.