Robbery Suspect Using False 'Sister Was Harassed' Ploy Arrested During Sahur, Had Struck Four Times
Jakarta — A spate of robberies carried out under the guise of false accusations that had gone viral on social media has finally been brought to an end. The Mobile Brigade Sub-directorate of the Jakarta Metropolitan Police's General Crime Directorate has successfully apprehended a suspect identified by the initials AA.
The suspect was known to operate by accusing victims of having harassed his sister. Under the pressure of these false allegations, victims would panic and comply with the suspect's demands, ultimately leading to the seizure of their belongings.
"The Mobile Brigade Sub-directorate of the Jakarta Metropolitan Police's General Crime Directorate has successfully uncovered a case of robbery involving false accusations that had gone viral on social media," said Jakarta Metropolitan Police Public Relations Chief Senior Commissioner Budi Hermanto to reporters on Saturday, 21 February 2026.
AA's actions had previously been captured on CCTV cameras and spread widely across social media. In the circulating footage, the suspect could be seen pulling up alongside victims on a motorcycle before taking them as a pillion passenger.
One incident occurred on Jalan Winong, Sudimara Jaya, Ciledug, Tangerang City, on 8 February 2026. On that occasion, the suspect pressured the victim with accusations of having committed indecent acts against his sister.
"Under pressure and threats, the panicked victim then complied with the suspect's demand to accompany him. After going with the suspect, the victim was taken to a secluded location. There, the suspect began choking the victim and seized their mobile phone before fleeing the scene," Hermanto said.
AA's time on the run came to an end in the early hours of Thursday, 19 February 2026. Police arrested him at a rented room in a narrow alleyway in the Cipulir area, Kebayoran Lama, South Jakarta.
"The suspect, who had just arrived home for his sahur meal, offered no resistance and was powerless when he realised that those who had come for him were officers from the Mobile Brigade Sub-directorate," Hermanto said.
Before investigators, AA confessed to all of his actions. He also admitted to having carried out similar offences on four occasions at different locations.
"Starting from the Tanah Abang area, then Serpong, Manggarai, and his most recent act in Ciledug," he added.
Police are continuing to investigate the possibility of additional victims. For his actions, the suspect has been charged under Article 479 of the Criminal Code, which carries a maximum sentence of nine years' imprisonment.
The suspect was known to operate by accusing victims of having harassed his sister. Under the pressure of these false allegations, victims would panic and comply with the suspect's demands, ultimately leading to the seizure of their belongings.
"The Mobile Brigade Sub-directorate of the Jakarta Metropolitan Police's General Crime Directorate has successfully uncovered a case of robbery involving false accusations that had gone viral on social media," said Jakarta Metropolitan Police Public Relations Chief Senior Commissioner Budi Hermanto to reporters on Saturday, 21 February 2026.
AA's actions had previously been captured on CCTV cameras and spread widely across social media. In the circulating footage, the suspect could be seen pulling up alongside victims on a motorcycle before taking them as a pillion passenger.
One incident occurred on Jalan Winong, Sudimara Jaya, Ciledug, Tangerang City, on 8 February 2026. On that occasion, the suspect pressured the victim with accusations of having committed indecent acts against his sister.
"Under pressure and threats, the panicked victim then complied with the suspect's demand to accompany him. After going with the suspect, the victim was taken to a secluded location. There, the suspect began choking the victim and seized their mobile phone before fleeing the scene," Hermanto said.
AA's time on the run came to an end in the early hours of Thursday, 19 February 2026. Police arrested him at a rented room in a narrow alleyway in the Cipulir area, Kebayoran Lama, South Jakarta.
"The suspect, who had just arrived home for his sahur meal, offered no resistance and was powerless when he realised that those who had come for him were officers from the Mobile Brigade Sub-directorate," Hermanto said.
Before investigators, AA confessed to all of his actions. He also admitted to having carried out similar offences on four occasions at different locations.
"Starting from the Tanah Abang area, then Serpong, Manggarai, and his most recent act in Ciledug," he added.
Police are continuing to investigate the possibility of additional victims. For his actions, the suspect has been charged under Article 479 of the Criminal Code, which carries a maximum sentence of nine years' imprisonment.