Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Retired Generals Provide Input to Defence Minister on US Air Overflight Permissions

| | Source: KOMPAS Translated from Indonesian | Politics
Retired Generals Provide Input to Defence Minister on US Air Overflight Permissions
Image: KOMPAS

JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com - A number of retired TNI generals are reported to have provided input to Defence Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin regarding the United States’ (US) proposal for overflight clearance to traverse Indonesian airspace.

The input was conveyed during the Defence Minister’s meeting with the retired TNI generals at the Ministry of Defence (Kemenhan), Jakarta, on Friday (24/4/2026).

“This is one of the forums as part of the inputs received. Retirees naturally have considerations and very good analyses,” said the Head of the Defence Information Bureau of Kemenhan, Brigadier General TNI Rico Ricardo Sirait, at Kemenhan, Jakarta, on Friday.

“So, it may also be discussed with related ministries and agencies, with the DPR, regarding that Letter of Intent,” he continued.

In addition, Sjafrie also explained the development of the Territorial Development Battalion (Yon TP) that the Kemenhan is accelerating.

Rico stated that the programme is part of the future TNI strength development plan.

The government targets the construction of 150 Territorial Development Battalions each year.

Rico said that the ship traverses the international ALKI route which guarantees freedom of navigation, so no violation occurred.

Rico said the meeting also discussed TNI peacekeeping forces in Lebanon as well as geopolitical developments impacting the Strait of Hormuz.

He claimed that the majority of retirees responded positively to the explanations from the Defence Minister and the TNI Commander, particularly regarding future strength development.

According to Rico, this forum keeps the retirees following developments even though they are no longer active in the TNI or Kemenhan.

He emphasised that all inputs received will serve as evaluation material for Kemenhan and TNI Headquarters in formulating national defence policies.

It was previously reported that Indonesian Defence Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin gathered a number of retired Indonesian National Army (TNI) generals at the Ministry of Defence (Kemhan) on Friday (24/4/2026).

View JSON | Print