Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Religious Affairs Minister Requests Rp702 Billion for Flood-Damaged Madrasahs and Pesantren in Sumatra

| Source: CNN_ID | Social Policy
The Ministry of Religious Affairs (Kemenag) has requested a special allocation for the reconstruction of hundreds of madrasahs, houses of worship, and pesantren damaged or destroyed by floods and landslides in Sumatra in late November 2025.

Religious Affairs Minister Nasaruddin Umar said the proposal had been submitted to the State Secretary Minister (Mensesneg) but had not yet received approval.

"We proposed Rp702.90 billion to the State Secretary Minister, but have not yet received approval," Nasaruddin said during a coordination meeting of the Sumatra Flood Disaster Recovery Task Force at the House of Representatives on Wednesday (18 February).

Nasaruddin detailed that of the total proposed budget, Rp228 billion would be used to revitalise 122 of the 773 madrasahs affected by the floods. He said 651, or 84 per cent, of the remainder were already operational.

A further Rp144.64 billion would be used to reactivate 290 of the 1,174 pesantren that have not yet resumed operations. An additional Rp117 billion would go towards revitalising 35 of the 1,593 houses of worship affected by the floods.

"Of the 1,593 affected houses of worship, 1,558 or 97 per cent are already operational. So there are just 35 units remaining, and the funds required amount to Rp117 billion," he said.

Based on Kemenag data, Nasaruddin said his ministry had classified the damage from minor to severe. For madrasahs, for instance, of the 773 affected, the majority sustained minor damage, with the remainder suffering moderate to severe damage.

"That is why we are very much dependent on the funds we have proposed to the State Secretary Minister," he said.
View JSON | Print