Reasons Behind the US's Sudden Cancellation of Sending 4,000 Troops to Poland
Jakarta, CNBC Indonesia — The United States is reportedly cancelling plans to deploy approximately 4,000 troops to Poland. This sudden decision comes amid strained relations between Washington and its European allies regarding the Iran conflict and discussions about the future of NATO.
This report was first revealed by Army Times, citing NBC News on Sunday (17/5/2026). However, the Pentagon has not yet issued an official announcement regarding the cancellation. A Pentagon spokesperson also declined to comment.
A US official who spoke to Reuters anonymously stated that the decision is related to a restructuring of US forces in Europe. This move is said to be a short-term solution before the US proceeds with its previously announced plan to reduce approximately 5,000 troops from Germany.
Currently, around 35,000 US troops are stationed in Germany. If the deployment to Poland is cancelled, the troops initially planned for temporary rotation will likely be redirected from other locations.
The Prime Minister of Poland, Donald Tusk, said that he has received assurances that Poland’s security will not be affected.
“I have received assurances that this decision is logistical and will not directly affect our defence or security capabilities,” Tusk said at a press conference on Friday local time.
The Trump administration is currently reviewing its military presence in Europe. Trump has long urged NATO countries to take a larger share in financing and defending the European region.
Tensions have also increased after several European countries did not support US military operations against Iran. Trump was reportedly involved in a dispute with German Chancellor Friedrich Merz over this issue.
Democratic Senator Jeanne Shaheen said that the decision to cancel the deployment of troops to Poland appears to have surprised the US Congress.
“As far as I know, we were not notified about it,” she said. Previously, senior US officials said that reducing troops in Germany would return the number of US troops in Europe to pre-2022 levels, before the Russian invasion of Ukraine prompted an increase in military strength during President Joe Biden’s era.
This latest move by Washington also comes as the US is increasingly pressuring European countries to increase their own defence spending. Washington believes that excessive dependence on the US military has led some European countries to neglect strengthening their domestic forces.
Reuters previously reported on an internal Pentagon email discussing options for punishing NATO allies deemed not to be supporting US operations in the Iran war. One of the options includes suspending Spain’s position in NATO and reviewing US support for Britain’s claim over the Falkland Islands.
At the end of last year, the number of US troops in Europe was recorded at around 85,000 personnel. However, a rule in the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) prohibits this number from falling below 76,000 without consultation with NATO allies and an assessment of the impact on US security and its ability to counter Russian aggression.
(mkh/mkh)