Public Urged Not to Easily Trust Unverified Information About Mount Anak Krakatau
The Centre for Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation (PVMBG) has urged the public to continuously monitor official information regarding the volcanic activity of Mount Anak Krakatau and not to easily trust unverified information. Andi Suwardi, Head of the Mount Anak Krakatau Observation Post in Hargopancuran, Rajabasa District, South Lampung, stated that information on the volcano’s activity is only disseminated through official government channels, and the public is expected to refer to accountable sources. "We continue to urge residents not to easily believe unverified information regarding Mount Anak Krakatau’s activity. The public should obtain information from the Regional Disaster Management Agency (BPBD) or other authorised agencies to avoid causing unrest," he said in South Lampung on Thursday, 9 July 2026. He explained that the volcanic activity of Mount Anak Krakatau is still being intensively monitored using both visual and instrumental methods to track its development continuously. "On 8 July, seven eruptions were recorded from midnight until 12.00 WIB in the afternoon. After that, activity decreased again. This is the character of Mount Anak Krakatau. When its energy is depleted, activity will calm down until new energy builds up again. Remain vigilant, but the public does not need to panic," he said. He explained that the current height of Mount Anak Krakatau is around 157 metres above sea level, much lower than during the landslide event that triggered the tsunami in 2018. "At that time, the mountain’s height was around 338 metres above sea level, so the load at the peak was much greater and capable of pushing seawater onto the land. Currently, the height is around 157 metres. Hopefully, if a landslide occurs, the impact will not be as severe as before," he said. He explained that the most potential threat the public might experience during volcanic activity is ash rain if the wind direction is towards the Lampung mainland. "In these conditions, the public simply needs to use masks to reduce exposure to volcanic ash. So far, there has been no direct impact endangering the public," he stated.