Protesters decry council, show support for mayor
Protesters decry council, show support for mayor
Ainur R. Sophiaan, The Jakarta Post, Surabaya
Some 300 people rallied in front of the Surabaya legislative
council on Monday, claiming its decision to dismiss the city's
mayor last week was illegal.
The protesters, calling themselves the National Generation
Forum, urged the council to lift its motion against Surabaya
mayor Bambang Dwi Hartono, otherwise it would have to be
dissolved.
"We appeal to Basuki to annul the decision, as it is against
the public's aspirations," said Amari, the field coordinator for
the forum. He was referring to the council's speaker M. Basuki.
Protesters wanting to seek out Basuki were unable to get into
the council building. A security cordon of policemen blocked
their way but no clashes were reported.
The council's plenary meeting last week decided to dismiss
Bambang although he took over the post as mayor from Sunarto
Sumoprawiro just a month ago.
The councillors took the measure after Bambang failed to
attend the session held to hear his response to their demand for
a review of his budget accountability speech on June 13.
However protesters argued on Monday that the council's decree
No. 2/2002 dismissing the Surabaya mayor was illegal.
They said the 2001 city budget, for which Bambang was held
accountable, was drawn up by his predecessor, Sunarto.
Councillors dismissed Sunarto on June 10 because of his
fragile health condition. Bambang who was the deputy mayor took
over the post but had to deliver Sunarto's accountability speech
three days later.
The mayor hails from the Indonesian Democratic Party of
Struggle (PDI Perjuangan), as was council speaker Basuki.
But PDI Perjuangan has discharged Basuki as the head of the
party's Surabaya office, citing moral violations. The council
speaker is known to be Bambang's political rival.
Amari said the forum was demanding the council's dismissal
instead, claiming its members failed to take into account the
public's aspirations.
Constitutional law expert at Airlangga University Harjono MCL
agreed on allegations that the council's decision was
illegitimate.
He said the dismissal of Bambang had little to do with his
response to the rejected budget speech, but more with his failure
to show up at the plenary meeting.
Council deputy speaker Herman Rival said earlier that Bambang
was discharged for his contempt of the legislature.
Councillors who elected Bambang resented his absence, viewing
such an attitude as arrogant and disrespectful.
Support behind the incumbent mayor also appeared on the
streets. About 200 people carrying a 300 meter-long banner around
Bambang's office in Surya Park, asked passersby to support the
mayor by signing the banner.
Bambang continues to work as mayor until the council's
decision gets approved by the central government.
The city administration secretary Alisjahbana said Bambang's
staff was working as usual. "We have nothing to do with the
council's motion. Our mayor is still Pak Bambang," he said.
Ainur R. Sophiaan, The Jakarta Post, Surabaya
Some 300 people rallied in front of the Surabaya legislative
council on Monday, claiming its decision to dismiss the city's
mayor last week was illegal.
The protesters, calling themselves the National Generation
Forum, urged the council to lift its motion against Surabaya
mayor Bambang Dwi Hartono, otherwise it would have to be
dissolved.
"We appeal to Basuki to annul the decision, as it is against
the public's aspirations," said Amari, the field coordinator for
the forum. He was referring to the council's speaker M. Basuki.
Protesters wanting to seek out Basuki were unable to get into
the council building. A security cordon of policemen blocked
their way but no clashes were reported.
The council's plenary meeting last week decided to dismiss
Bambang although he took over the post as mayor from Sunarto
Sumoprawiro just a month ago.
The councillors took the measure after Bambang failed to
attend the session held to hear his response to their demand for
a review of his budget accountability speech on June 13.
However protesters argued on Monday that the council's decree
No. 2/2002 dismissing the Surabaya mayor was illegal.
They said the 2001 city budget, for which Bambang was held
accountable, was drawn up by his predecessor, Sunarto.
Councillors dismissed Sunarto on June 10 because of his
fragile health condition. Bambang who was the deputy mayor took
over the post but had to deliver Sunarto's accountability speech
three days later.
The mayor hails from the Indonesian Democratic Party of
Struggle (PDI Perjuangan), as was council speaker Basuki.
But PDI Perjuangan has discharged Basuki as the head of the
party's Surabaya office, citing moral violations. The council
speaker is known to be Bambang's political rival.
Amari said the forum was demanding the council's dismissal
instead, claiming its members failed to take into account the
public's aspirations.
Constitutional law expert at Airlangga University Harjono MCL
agreed on allegations that the council's decision was
illegitimate.
He said the dismissal of Bambang had little to do with his
response to the rejected budget speech, but more with his failure
to show up at the plenary meeting.
Council deputy speaker Herman Rival said earlier that Bambang
was discharged for his contempt of the legislature.
Councillors who elected Bambang resented his absence, viewing
such an attitude as arrogant and disrespectful.
Support behind the incumbent mayor also appeared on the
streets. About 200 people carrying a 300 meter-long banner around
Bambang's office in Surya Park, asked passersby to support the
mayor by signing the banner.
Bambang continues to work as mayor until the council's
decision gets approved by the central government.
The city administration secretary Alisjahbana said Bambang's
staff was working as usual. "We have nothing to do with the
council's motion. Our mayor is still Pak Bambang," he said.