Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Presidential Palace Responds to Allegations of Deforestation Triggering Floods in Guci, Tegal

| Source: ANTARA_ID | Social Policy
Jakarta (ANTARA) - State Secretary Minister Prasetyo Hadi responded to allegations that deforestation triggered the flash floods at the Guci tourist area in Tegal Regency by stating the government has prepared follow-up measures through an investigation process.

"There is already an investigation team in place, from both the provincial and regency governments. I have also been coordinating," said Prasetyo at the House of Representatives complex in Senayan, Jakarta, on Wednesday.

He stated that the Ministry of Forestry has also been requested to conduct a review and evaluation of the condition of the forest areas surrounding the Guci tourist site.

The review aims to assess the condition of the area and ensure that land use in the zone complies with prevailing regulations.

"We have asked the Ministry of Forestry to also carry out a review of the area surrounding the Guci tourist site in Tegal Regency. We will see what the conditions are like," he said.

According to Prasetyo, the handling and evaluation process follows the same mechanism applied to similar cases in several other regions, including three provinces in Sumatra — Aceh, North Sumatra, and West Sumatra.

"It is the same as the process in the three Sumatran provinces," he concluded.

As previously reported, Speaker of the People's Consultative Assembly (MPR) Ahmad Muzani cited the possibility that logging was one of the triggers for the flash floods in Tegal Regency, Central Java.

"Yes, this is already upstream. This is actually already upstream. But above it, heavier rainfall occurred, and then it appears there has been logging," said Muzani at the Guci tourist area in Tegal on Monday (16 February).

"That is why the Regency Government is coordinating with the Ministry of Forestry so that there will be a replanting plan," he added.
View JSON | Print