Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Pramono Unveils Grand Agenda Towards Jakarta's 5th Centenary: Resolving Congestion and Flooding

| Source: DETIK Translated from Indonesian | Politics
Pramono Unveils Grand Agenda Towards Jakarta's 5th Centenary: Resolving Congestion and Flooding
Image: DETIK

Jakarta Governor Pramono Anung has unveiled a grand agenda to be undertaken by the provincial government in welcoming the city’s 500th anniversary in 2027. A number of the capital’s classic problems, such as traffic congestion, flooding, and waste, are the main focus to be resolved.

This was conveyed by Pramono while attending the Peak Night of Jakarta’s 499th Anniversary with the theme ‘Towards 5 Centuries of Jakarta’ at the HI Roundabout, Central Jakarta, on Saturday (27/6/2026). When asked about hopes and the direction of Jakarta’s future development, Pramono said the main target is to make residents live more comfortably.

‘Firstly, the most important thing for me is hoping that Jakarta residents live comfortably, easily, happily, and conveniently. Transportation to anywhere, because currently for 15 categories of Jakarta residents, transportation is free, and we always want to provide the best service for transportation,’ said Pramono.

To overcome the waste problem, Pramono said the Jakarta Provincial Government is preparing the construction of waste-to-energy power plants (PLTSa) in three locations. According to him, the project is expected to be a long-term solution for Jakarta’s waste management.

‘Secondly, we are building waste-to-energy power plants. There are three sites, in Bantar Gebang, Tanjungan, and also in Sunter. Hopefully, Jakarta’s waste problem in the future will not be like it is now, it will be better,’ he said.

In addition to waste, flood management is also a priority. Pramono confirmed that the river normalisation programme will be resumed after being halted in several locations.

‘Thirdly, the flooding. I am continuing the normalisation of rivers that were previously not continued, I am resuming them. The normalisation of the Ciliwung River, Krukut Lama, Cakung, and hopefully, although flooding in Jakarta will still exist, it will not be like before,’ he said.

Pramono also outlined several infrastructure projects currently being completed. Among them is connecting the Grand Hyatt, Pullman, Mandarin Oriental, and Hotel Indonesia Kempinski areas via an underground passage integrated with the MRT. Space for MSMEs will also be prepared in the area.

Furthermore, the Jakarta Provincial Government will build a Pedestrian Deck in Dukuh Atas and improve access to the Jakarta International Stadium (JIS). Spectators will be able to park their vehicles in Ancol before walking to the stadium.

According to Pramono, his administration together with Deputy Governor Rano Karno is striving to complete various projects left unfinished by previous administrations.

‘We are frankly completing things that were not finished by previous governments or previous governors,’ he explained.

In the social sector, Pramono confirmed that various assistance programmes such as food subsidies, the Jakarta Smart Card (KJP), the Jakarta Superior Student Card (KJMU), and diploma legalisation will be continued. The Jakarta Provincial Government also plans to send outstanding students to study abroad through the LPDP scholarship scheme.

‘Hopefully, Jakarta will once again be safer, more comfortable, and everyone can feel that,’ he concluded.

View JSON | Print