Prabowo Highlights 1,800 Unsafe Level Crossings in Java, Prepares Rp 4 Trillion
President of the Republic of Indonesia Prabowo Subianto has highlighted the existence of thousands of railway level crossings on Java island that lack adequate security systems. He described the situation as a longstanding problem that must be addressed urgently following the tragedy of a collision between a commuter rail (KRL) train and a long-distance train (KAJJ) in Bekasi. Prabowo made these remarks after the collision between the KRL and KAJJ, which originated from an accident with an electric taxi at the Bulak Kapal level crossing in Bekasi City on Monday night (27/4/2026). Prabowo revealed that these crossings without barriers and adequate security represent a classic issue that has been neglected for decades. “This dates back, I think to the Dutch era, how many decades. Now, we will resolve all of that. I have ordered it immediately; we will fix all those crossings,” he stated. The improvement measures to be implemented include placing official guard posts and constructing flyovers at crucial points with heavy traffic. The central government is also said to be preparing a total budget of Rp 4 trillion to accommodate enhancements in security at these level crossings. According to Prabowo, the budget is necessary to ensure public safety, given the importance of rail transport. “For safety and because rail is very important to us, we must allocate it. Now is the time; it hasn’t been done for decades, but we will do it now,” he said. He claimed to have directly instructed the Mayor of Bekasi, Tri Adhianto, to execute these improvements as an urgent project for the safety of road users. Previously, the collision occurred between the Cikarang-bound KRL train number PLB 5568A and the KA Argo Bromo Anggrek train on the Gambir–Surabaya Pasar Turi route around 20:52 WIB on Monday night. The incident site was on the platform at Bekasi Timur Station KM 28+920. As a result of the incident, 14 KRL passengers were killed by 08:45 WIB, based on the latest data provided by KAI President Director Bobby Rasyidin on Monday (28/4/2026). The victims are currently receiving treatment at several healthcare facilities, including RSUD Bekasi, RS Bella Bekasi, RS Primaya, RS Mitra Plumbon Cibitung, RS Bakti Kartini, RS Siloam Bekasi Timur, RS Hermina, as well as RS Mitra Keluarga Bekasi Timur and Barat. Meanwhile, 240 passengers of the KA Argo Bromo Anggrek were reported safe.