Post-Sumatra Disaster, PRR Task Force States 27 Locations in Aceh Still Covered in Mud
Jakarta – The Task Force for Accelerating Rehabilitation and Reconstruction (PRR) Post-Sumatra Disaster states that 27 areas in Aceh are still covered in mud due to the impact of floods and landslides in Sumatra. The PRR Task Force reports that overall mud cleanup in the disaster-affected areas has reached 95.78 per cent. Spokesperson for the PRR Task Force, Amran, stated that the mud cleanup progress shows significant achievement and is nearly complete across all affected areas. “The condition for mud cleanup is already significant and nearly complete,” said Amran during a press conference at the Ministry of Home Affairs headquarters on Wednesday, 6 May 2026. He explained that the majority of locations previously buried in mud material have now been cleaned. According to Amran, mud remains only in a small portion of points still being worked on in Aceh. “That is just 27 locations in Aceh Province out of 634 locations. So it is already very substantial, 95.78 per cent completed,” said Amran. Meanwhile, the two other affected provinces, West Sumatra (Sumbar) and North Sumatra (Sumut), are reported to be almost entirely free of mud. “In Sumbar, there is no more, everything is clean. In North Sumatra Province, only one location remains,” he said. In addition to mud cleanup, the government has ensured that national road access in the affected areas has been fully restored and can be used by the public. Currently, fieldwork is directed towards further cleanup in water channels and areas still buried. “At present, it is just cleanup in drainage or ditches, buried mud soil,” he added.