Ponorogo Kiai Detained for Abusing 11 Male Santri; Modus Operandi Involved Massage
A kiai who leads a pesantren in the Jambon district of Ponorogo Regency, East Java, has been named a suspect and detained in connection with the sexual abuse of 11 male santri.
“Following our joint case review, we have named the suspect as a suspect and we are currently detaining him at the Ponorogo Police detention facility,” said Kasatreskrim Ponorogo Police AKP Imam Mujali, as quoted by detikcom on Wednesday, 20 May.
“According to him, it is possible that among the 11 victims who have reported, there may be additional victims. The incident has allegedly been ongoing since 2017 to 2026.
“We may still be examining whether former santriawan who may have previously been abused by the pondok pesantren’s leader exist. Please advise the public if there are other victims not yet identified,” Imam said.
Imam explained the case came to light after one victim reported and information from the community. The police went on to conduct a series of investigations.
“The modus operandi was a massage; the santri were called one by one into a room, then after the abuse, the victims were given Rp100,000 pocket money,” Imam said.
At present, according to Imam, the victims require special support from both psychologists and lawyers because they have depressed. Assessments are being carried out by the Ponorogo Regency Social Service.
“Because the victims are depressed, we are providing support from the Social Service’s psychologist and also a lawyer,” Imam concluded.
Read the full report here.