Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Police: Suspect in Makassar Schoolgirl Murder Case Targeted Victim for Long Time

| Source: CNN_ID Translated from Indonesian | Legal
Police: Suspect in Makassar Schoolgirl Murder Case Targeted Victim for Long Time
Image: CNN_ID

Police arrested a suspect in the murder and rape of a 12-year-old primary schoolgirl whose body was found in a pile of rubbish inside an abandoned house in Tallo District, Makassar, South Sulawesi. Based on investigations, the suspect identified as IK (19) had planned the heinous act against the victim. ‘The suspect is the victim’s neighbour. He had mapped out the situation, found an empty room and knew what he intended to do. This falls under premeditation,’ said Makassar City Police Chief Arya Perdana to reporters on Wednesday (27 May). Arya stated the victim was reported missing by her family on Tuesday (26 May) evening after she failed to return home as usual. ‘The child usually goes to bed by 8 or 9 PM WITA, but was not at home. Her parents searched everywhere but could not find her,’ he said. The family’s search continued until early Wednesday (27 May). Around 5 AM WITA, the victim was found dead inside an abandoned house. According to Arya, the victim was discovered naked. A broken television was found on top of her head at the scene. Police suspect the suspect had struck her head against a wall. ‘The victim was already deceased, naked, with a TV on her head. There are indications her head was slammed against the wall,’ he added. During questioning, the suspect admitted he had been observing the victim for some time. Before the attack, IK asked the victim to buy drinks and food. When she returned, he dragged her into the abandoned house. ‘The victim’s mouth was covered immediately, then her head was struck because she struggled,’ he said. Arya revealed the victim had severe injuries. In addition to sexual assault, she was suspected to have been severely beaten, leading to her death. However, police are awaiting the official autopsy report to confirm the exact cause of death. ‘The victim fought back, likely causing the injuries on her hands. The cause of death will be confirmed by the official autopsy report,’ he explained. Arya said IK caused a commotion during the crime scene investigation to divert officers’ attention while they were probing the case. However, his suspicious behaviour led authorities to confirm he was the assailant. ‘The person causing a disturbance was the suspect, attempting to divert attention so police would leave quickly or attend to other matters,’ he said. As a result of his actions, the suspect faces charges under Sections 459 and 458 of the Indonesian Criminal Code, with a potential prison sentence of 20 years or the death penalty.

View JSON | Print