Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Police say luxury hotel thief in Central Jakarta acted alone

| Source: ANTARA_ID | Legal
Jakarta (ANTARA) - Jakarta Metropolitan Police (Polda Metro Jaya) have revealed that the perpetrator of a theft at a five-star hotel in Central Jakarta on Tuesday (10 February) acted alone.

"Based on the results of the preliminary investigation, the perpetrator acted alone, and to date, no indication of the involvement of other parties has been found," said Jakarta Metropolitan Police Head of Public Relations Commissioner Budi Hermanto in Jakarta on Wednesday.

He explained that the suspect, identified by the initials NW (43), is a specialist thief whose modus operandi involves disguising himself as an office worker, wearing batik and a lanyard, then blending into the luxury hotel environment.

"Before acting, the perpetrator first sought information about activities or events at the hotel to map out the situation and exploit lapses in attention, then targeted and took items belonging to guests or visitors," said Budi.

Meanwhile, he said, based on statements obtained, the suspect is known to have operated at three separate crime scenes.

Previously, the Mobile Criminal Investigation Sub-directorate of the Jakarta Metropolitan Police's General Criminal Investigation Directorate arrested NW on Friday (13 February) in the Matraman area of East Jakarta.

A number of items of evidence were also seized, including one laptop belonging to the victim, a lanyard, sunglasses, a black bag, a batik shirt, jeans, and shoes used during the crimes.

Budi urged the public to be more vigilant, particularly when attending events at hotels or in public spaces.

"We remind the public not to leave valuables unattended. If you encounter or experience a crime, please report it immediately to the nearest police station or through the 110 police service line, which is accessible 24 hours a day," Budi urged.

Central Jakarta Metropolitan Police had previously received a report regarding the theft at the five-star hotel. The case was under investigation at the time.

"We have received the report and are still investigating the case," said Head of the Criminal Investigation Unit (Kasat Reskrim) of Central Jakarta Metropolitan Police Senior Commissioner Roby Heri Saputra in Jakarta on Wednesday (11 February).

According to him, the chronology of the case was as follows: on Tuesday (10 February) at approximately 08:00 local time, the victim was attending a meeting organised by the Ministry of Transport in the Candi Kalasan Room on the second floor of a hotel in Central Jakarta.

Then, during a break at approximately 12:00, the victim placed a black bag containing a mobile phone and a laptop on the desk in the meeting room.

"Upon returning to the meeting room at 12:50, the victim found that the items were no longer there," said Roby.

After the victim requested CCTV footage, it was revealed that the victim's belongings had been taken by an unknown individual. The victim subsequently filed a police report.
View JSON | Print