Police Investigate Role of Chinese National Suspected of Recruiting Foreign Nationals in Bali Scam Case
Police are investigating the role of a Chinese national with the initial M, suspected of being the initiator in recruiting dozens of foreign nationals in the case of alleged preparations for an international scamming operation in Kuta, Badung.
Denpasar Police Chief Commissioner Leonardo David Simatupang revealed that the individual M is believed to be connected to the activities of the foreign nationals secured during a raid on a guesthouse in the Kedonganan area.
“Initial M, Chinese national,” he stated when asked about the party suspected of initiating the activity, at the Denpasar Police Headquarters on Wednesday (13/5/2026).
Meanwhile, Denpasar Police Criminal Investigation Unit Head Commissioner Agus Riwayanto Diputra said that investigators are still conducting a comprehensive probe into M’s alleged involvement.
According to Agus, police are currently tracing M’s role, connections with the foreign nationals, and the sequence of events in the case.
“Investigators are working based on evidence and legal facts obtained in the field. Therefore, we cannot conclude or state a certain status before the entire examination process and case review are conducted thoroughly,” he said.
He emphasised that police will take further legal steps if criminal elements are fulfilled.
“If the elements and legal provisions are met according to applicable procedures, investigators will certainly take further legal steps, including the possibility of designating as a most wanted person (DPO),” he added.
On the other hand, Ngurah Rai Immigration stated that the 26 secured foreign nationals are planned to be deported soon. However, the deportation process for 11 foreign nationals is still awaiting coordination with their respective embassies as they lack passports.
Head of Intelligence and Enforcement of the Class I Special Immigration Office TPI Ngurah Rai, Raja Ulul Azmi Syahwali, said his side is still processing emergency travel documents for the foreign nationals.
“This week we will deport them. But for the 11 foreign nationals without passports, we must first coordinate with their country’s embassies to issue emergency passports so they can be returned to their home countries,” he said.
Based on the foreign nationals’ statements, their passports were allegedly held by the individual M.
“They entered Bali with passports, the passports were held by M, that’s their admission,” he said.
Raja added that immigration will impose immigration administrative actions in the form of deportation against the foreign nationals in accordance with Article 75 of the Immigration Law.
“Every foreigner who is suspected or reasonably suspected of committing acts that disrupt public security and order, endanger the state, and violate laws and regulations may be subject to immigration administrative actions or IMA in the form of deportation,” he explained.
Previously reported, police raided a guesthouse on Jalan By Pass Ngurah Rai, Gang Karang Sari, Kedonganan, Kuta, Badung, on Monday (27/4), which was suspected to be used as a location for preparing international scamming.
In the raid, police secured 26 foreign nationals from various countries and four Indonesian nationals.
Police also found several items suspected to be used for online fraud activities, such as FBI badges, computer devices, Starlink internet network, and scam training scripts.
Based on the investigation results, the activity is believed to still be in the preparation and training stage before implementation.