Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Police arrest three more terror suspects in Central Java

| Source: JP
Police arrest three more terror suspects in Central Java

Suherdjoko, The Jakarta Post, Semarang, Central Java

The police arrested three more Muslim terror suspects who
allegedly were linked to terrorists or terror attacks in the
country, bringing the figure to 18.

They also revealed that a document in Arabic, which was
recently seized from other terrorist suspects in Semarang,
capital of Central Java, contained misleading teachings that
could jeopardize the younger generation.

National Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Zainuri Lubis said here on
Friday that the three were identified as Sumarno, Wagino and
Fadli, were captured in their own houses in the Central Java town
of Karanganyar, early in the morning on Friday.

"Wagino and Sumarno with the bullets and bomb-making
materials, and were taken by an antiterror squad from their own
house in Jenggrik Gayamdumpo village while Fadli was nabbed
because he supplied logistics to terror suspects when they were
hiding in Surakarta and Klaten (both in Java)," he said.

He added that the police also seized thousands of bullets and
two boxes of TNT and a kilogram of sulfur, a chemical which can
be used for making explosives.

With the help of the National Intelligence Agency (BIN), the
police last week hauled in 15 terror suspects, all reported to
practicing the Islamic faith, for a similar allegation and they
are still being interrogated, but it has drawn strong protests
from Muslim organizations.

Nine were arrested in Jakarta namely Ahmad Sofyan alias Tamim,
Zaid, Rofi alias Solihin, Teten, Rachmat, Sukimin alias Babe,
Zubair alias Lutfi, Farhan alias Syamsul Bahri and Muhaimin Yahya
alias Ziad. Two others were arrested in Lampung, namely Ari
Wibowo alias Mustofa dan Awaluddin alias Abu Yasar. The other two
were arrested in Solo, namely Ikhsan and Suradi alias Abu Usman.

The 15 suspects have been accused of involvement in a string
of bombings between 2000 and 2003 across the country or having
links with terrorist suspects who are on trial for their alleged
involvement in the Oct. 12, 2002 Bali blasts and the Aug. 5 JW
Marriott Hotel bombing in Jakarta.

Chief of Central Java Provincial Police Insp. Gen. Didi
Widayadi said in Semarang that the police were still examining
other chemicals confiscated from the detainees.

He also disclosed that the police had seized several books in
Arabic with titles such as Al Qidah, Al Sunnah, Al Jihad and
Toward the Glory of Islam
.

According to Didi, the materials belonged to Surono who was
arrested on Tuesday in his home town in Karanganyar.

"From the preliminary investigation, Surono admitted the
bullets and bomb-making materials were handed to him by his
colleague named Eko a year ago to keep in his house," he said.

Antara news agency reported that the police were still now
hunting down two other terror suspects identified as Junaedi and
Parawijayanto, both residents of Banyumanik and Kudus
respectively.

Didi said that the document confiscated from the suspects in
Semarang recently were dangerous because they contained
misleading Muslim teachings.

Besides containing teachings on how to establish a Muslim
military force and to make explosives, the books also encouraged
Muslims to embark upon jihad (holy war) for what was called
Islamic glory, he said.

He explained that the document was probably brought here from
Afghanistan and the book was published by Osama bin Laden and
Abdullah Amsari, two senior leaders of the al-Qaeda terrorist
group.

Didi called on relevant authorities to take stern measures to
prevent the spread of such misleading documents because it could
jeopardize the younger generation.

He said he had is suspicions that the document had been read
and learned by all the terrorist suspects allegedly involved in
the series of bomb attacks.

He insisted that the detainees were not Muslims or mosque
activists, but "terror activists" and they were with those who
are on trial and still at large.
View JSON | Print