Polda Metro Jaya arrests suspect in Jagakarsa bomb threat
The Jakarta Metropolitan Police (Polda Metro Jaya) have arrested a suspect in connection with an alleged bomb threat at SDN Srengseng Sawah 15 state primary school in Jagakarsa, South Jakarta, on Monday. The suspect has been identified by the initials MY. “The terror activity was carried out by one person with the initials MY, whose address is near the school where the incident occurred. He has been arrested,” said Polda Metro Jaya Head of Public Relations, Senior Commissioner Budi Hermanto, in Jakarta on Monday. However, Budi stated that the suspect’s full identity and motive are still being investigated by the investigative team. “Investigators are still looking into the purpose and motive of the person concerned,” he said. Police had earlier identified the suspect who sent threatening messages via WhatsApp to teachers and administrative staff. “We have already obtained his identity. We are searching for him and will certainly follow up on the suspect, who is believed to be the perpetrator of the threat,” said Jagakarsa Police Chief, Commissioner Nurma Dewi, to reporters in Jakarta on Monday. Nurma explained that the threat message sent through the WhatsApp messaging application claimed the perpetrator had planted bombs at 11 points inside the school. The teachers immediately contacted the police to secure the school, which was conducting the first day of the School Environment Introduction Period (MPLS). “All relevant parties, including the Automatic Fingerprint Identification System (Inafis) unit, the Fire and Rescue Service, the sub-district head, the village head, the Health Service, and the Education Service, came to the school to ensure the safety of the children and their parents,” Nurma said. Following a search lasting more than two hours, authorities confirmed that no suspicious objects were found.