Pentagon Announces Reduction of US Combat Brigades in Europe
The United States Department of Defense, or the Pentagon, has announced that it has reduced the number of US Army brigades stationed in Europe from four brigades to three. This returns to the level of deployment in 2021, as Washington presses the continent to do more for its own defence.
“The Pentagon has reduced the total number of Brigade Combat Teams (BCT) assigned to Europe from four to three,” the Pentagon said in a statement, reported by AFP on Tuesday, 20 May 2026. A BCT consists of about 4,000-4,700 personnel, according to US Congress reports cited by AFP on Wednesday, 20 May 2026.
In its statement, the Pentagon said that the reduction results in a “temporary delay” of US troop deployments to Poland.
Before the announcement, US Vice President JD Vance said that the plan to deploy 4,000 troops to Poland had been delayed rather than cancelled.
“The Department will determine the final placement of these troops and other forces in Europe based on further analysis of US strategic and operational needs, as well as our allies’ ability to contribute troops to European defence,” the Pentagon statement said.
The reduction of brigade combat teams comes at the peak of weeks of anticipation about US troop reductions in Europe and Washington’s urging that its continental allies invest more in their own defence.
President Donald Trump appears determined to punish allies that fail to support the US and Israel in the fight against Iran or contribute troops to the peacekeeping forces in the Hormuz Strait, a critical region.
Earlier in early May, the Pentagon announced that Washington would withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany.