Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Pentagon: 5,000 US Troops to Be Withdrawn from Germany

| Source: DETIK Translated from Indonesian | Politics
Pentagon: 5,000 US Troops to Be Withdrawn from Germany
Image: DETIK

The Secretary of Defense has ordered the withdrawal of around 5,000 troops from Germany, stated Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell, as reported by AFP and CNN International on Saturday (2/5/2026). According to data from the US Department of Defense Manpower Data Center, as of December 2025, there were 36,436 US military personnel stationed in Germany. This withdrawal of 5,000 troops will leave more than 30,000 soldiers still serving in Germany. The Pentagon said the withdrawal of 5,000 troops from Germany will take place over the next six to 12 months. “This decision follows a comprehensive review of the Department's force posture in Europe and recognises theatre needs and field conditions. We anticipate the withdrawal will be completed within the next six to twelve months,” he said. President Donald Trump, in a post on Truth Social on Wednesday (29/4), stated that the US is "learning and reviewing" the troop withdrawal from Germany after its chancellor criticised the US war with Iran. German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said the US is being "humiliated" by Iran and criticised the US administration for lacking an effective strategy to end the war. Trump had previously threatened to reduce troop numbers in the country in 2020, during his first term and when Angela Merkel was chancellor of Germany.

View JSON | Print