PBNU Demands Thorough Investigation into Sampang Girl Raped by 27 Men: 'Heinous Crime'
PBNU Chairman for Religious Affairs Ahmad Fahrur Rozi (Gus Fahrur) has strongly condemned the rape of a 15-year-old girl by 27 men in Sampang, East Java. He described the perpetrators’ actions as extremely heinous. ‘I strongly condemn the rape of a minor in Sampang. This is a very heinous crime, contrary to religious teachings, human values, and state law,’ Gus Fahrur told reporters on Tuesday (14/7/2026). Gus Fahrur urged the authorities to immediately arrest all perpetrators. He also asked the police to investigate the case thoroughly. ‘I urge the police to immediately arrest all perpetrators who are still at large and investigate this case to the end without discrimination,’ he said. In addition, Gus Fahrur asked relevant parties to provide maximum protection and assistance to the victim. He wants children to be protected from all crimes. ‘This incident serves as a reminder for all parties to strengthen child protection and moral education so that similar crimes do not recur,’ he said. The case came to light after the family noticed irregularities. The victim’s parents felt something was wrong when they found their daughter repeatedly returning home late at night, even until the early hours of the morning. Growing suspicious, the parents immediately questioned the victim. The girl instantly broke down in tears and confessed the ordeal that had befallen her. ‘The family suspected the victim had been raped by several people,’ said Sampang Police Criminal Investigation Unit Head Iptu Nur Fajri Alim. Upon hearing the painful confession, the family immediately went to the Sampang Police headquarters to file an official report. The family demanded law enforcement officers thoroughly investigate all perpetrators involved in the circle of sexual violence. Sampang Police Chief AKBP Hartono stated the incident occurred over a period of four months. The victim’s family only reported the case on 29 June 2026 because the victim was suffering from severe trauma. ‘In the period from February 2026 to May 2026, around 9.00 pm Western Indonesia Time,’ Hartono said during a press conference. To date, police have managed to secure 12 perpetrators. Meanwhile, 15 other perpetrators remain at large and are under intensive pursuit by officers.