Parties deny receiving aid from Saddam
Parties deny receiving aid from Saddam
Fabiola Desy Unidjaja
and Kurniawan Hari
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta
Leaders of Indonesian political parties have denied reports by
foreign media that deposed Iraqi president Saddam Hussein donated
money to them in an effort to seek political support from the
world's largest Muslim country.
Deputy chairman of the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle
(PDI-P) Arifin Panigoro conceded that when the United Nations had
imposed a trade embargo on Iraq he had participated in the oil-
for-food program. But he claimed he had not acted in his capacity
as a businessman.
"We bought oil from Iraq but the relations between PDI-P and
Saddam's Baath Party gained nothing from the deal," Arifin said
on Tuesday.
It has recently been reported by foreign media that a document
from the Iraqi oil ministry indicates that PDI-P leader Megawati
Soekarnoputri and National Mandate Party (PAN) leader Amien Rais
were among 200 individuals who received donations from Saddam.
Amien also denied the allegations, "There is not a single
element of truth (in that report)," he was quoted by his close
aide Alvin Lie as saying.
Alvin, also deputy secretary-general of PAN, said he had
directly contacted Amien shortly after hearing the reports.
According to the reports, Megawati had received coupons for
eight million barrels of oil between 1999 and 2002, while Amien
had secured four million barrels within the same period.
Arifin said that PDI Perjuangan had received an invitation
from the Baath Party in 1999 to visit Baghdad. He explained that
Megawati had sent him and Sophan Sophiaan to Baghdad on behalf of
PDI-P.
"While I was there, I was looking for a possible business
opportunity, which I found in the oil-for-food program. But it
had nothing to do with PDI-P," Arifin said.
He said that his company PT Medco had made three transactions
and secured two million barrels of oil in each deal.
Sophan concurred with Arifin's statement, saying that the
party had received nothing from the business deal. He claimed
that during the visit, the party had also donated medicine for
Iraqi people.
"As far as I know PDI-P did not receive anything," Sophan, who
exited the party in 2002, told The Jakarta Post.
"I am a staunch critic of Megawati, but we have to be
objective and honest in this case, she got nothing from the
deal," he said.
Separately, PAN deputy chairman Abdillah Toha denied the
claims, saying that if the party had received the oil, it would
now be wealthy.
"You should directly check the report with Pak Amien. As far
as I know, that is impossible," he told the Post.
According to him, PAN had been collecting money from its
members and spending it on campaign T-shirts.
PDI Perjuangan won 27 percent of the seats in the 1999 general
election, while PAN won only seven percent.
Fabiola Desy Unidjaja
and Kurniawan Hari
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta
Leaders of Indonesian political parties have denied reports by
foreign media that deposed Iraqi president Saddam Hussein donated
money to them in an effort to seek political support from the
world's largest Muslim country.
Deputy chairman of the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle
(PDI-P) Arifin Panigoro conceded that when the United Nations had
imposed a trade embargo on Iraq he had participated in the oil-
for-food program. But he claimed he had not acted in his capacity
as a businessman.
"We bought oil from Iraq but the relations between PDI-P and
Saddam's Baath Party gained nothing from the deal," Arifin said
on Tuesday.
It has recently been reported by foreign media that a document
from the Iraqi oil ministry indicates that PDI-P leader Megawati
Soekarnoputri and National Mandate Party (PAN) leader Amien Rais
were among 200 individuals who received donations from Saddam.
Amien also denied the allegations, "There is not a single
element of truth (in that report)," he was quoted by his close
aide Alvin Lie as saying.
Alvin, also deputy secretary-general of PAN, said he had
directly contacted Amien shortly after hearing the reports.
According to the reports, Megawati had received coupons for
eight million barrels of oil between 1999 and 2002, while Amien
had secured four million barrels within the same period.
Arifin said that PDI Perjuangan had received an invitation
from the Baath Party in 1999 to visit Baghdad. He explained that
Megawati had sent him and Sophan Sophiaan to Baghdad on behalf of
PDI-P.
"While I was there, I was looking for a possible business
opportunity, which I found in the oil-for-food program. But it
had nothing to do with PDI-P," Arifin said.
He said that his company PT Medco had made three transactions
and secured two million barrels of oil in each deal.
Sophan concurred with Arifin's statement, saying that the
party had received nothing from the business deal. He claimed
that during the visit, the party had also donated medicine for
Iraqi people.
"As far as I know PDI-P did not receive anything," Sophan, who
exited the party in 2002, told The Jakarta Post.
"I am a staunch critic of Megawati, but we have to be
objective and honest in this case, she got nothing from the
deal," he said.
Separately, PAN deputy chairman Abdillah Toha denied the
claims, saying that if the party had received the oil, it would
now be wealthy.
"You should directly check the report with Pak Amien. As far
as I know, that is impossible," he told the Post.
According to him, PAN had been collecting money from its
members and spending it on campaign T-shirts.
PDI Perjuangan won 27 percent of the seats in the 1999 general
election, while PAN won only seven percent.