Parliament Urges Government to Support Victims of Sexual Assault by Islamic Boarding School Founder in Pati
Members of the Indonesian House of Representatives (DPR RI) have spoken out regarding the alleged sexual violence committed by the founder of a pondok pesantren (pesantren) in Pati, Central Java, against his female students.
The case of alleged sexual violence was reportedly filed in 2024, and the pesantren founder was only designated as a suspect on 28 April.
PKB faction member Marwan Jafar urged the government to ensure that the victims in this case of alleged sexual violence at the pesantren in Tlogowungu, Pati, receive psychological, medical, and legal support.
“We must not ignore the victims. They must receive comprehensive support, both psychological, medical, and legal,” said Marwan on Monday (4/5).
He then emphasised the importance of providing trauma recovery services so that the victims can return to normal life, continue their education, and not be continually haunted by fear and emotional pressure from the incident they experienced.
Marwan also pressed the police to immediately arrest the perpetrator and process him legally with the maximum punishment.
According to him, the sexual violence case not only causes public unrest but also tarnishes the honour of the pesantren world, which has long been known as an educational institution based on moral and religious values.
Marwan stressed that the legal process must proceed transparently and must not be covered up.
Marwan also requested the Ministry of Religious Affairs, particularly the Pesantren Directorate, to take firm action by revoking the operational permit and conducting a comprehensive evaluation of the pesantren. Nevertheless, he cautioned against generalising this incident, which could create a negative stigma against other pesantrens.
Severe Punishment
Previously, a member of Commission VIII of the DPR from the PDIP faction, Selly Andriany Gantina, demanded that the perpetrator of sexual violence at the pesantren in Pati be given a heavy sentence—such as the maximum life imprisonment—if proven guilty.
“If there is a word more than ‘barbaric’, I think it is fitting to be applied to the perpetrator and anyone involved; life imprisonment must be imposed on them,” said Selly on Saturday (2/5), quoted from Antara.
Selly views this case as a hard slap to the state and the religious world. She assessed that such cases have occurred again for the umpteenth time due to neglectful actions.
“With 50 victims of female students dominated by orphans, this shows a systematic failure in child protection in the religious education environment,” she said.
Selly also regretted the police’s alleged negligence towards the victims’ reports. Based on the information she received, the victims had reported to the police since 2024. However, the report was allegedly only followed up in the last few days.
According to Selly, law enforcement officials (APH) have ignored Law No. 12 of 2022 on Sexual Violence Crimes (TPKS) and Law No. 17 of 2016 on Child Protection.
“Also investigate the APH who neglected this case. If necessary, dismiss them, because they neglect the public. They do not deserve to receive salaries from the state that come from the people’s money,” she said.
She also requested the Ministry of Women’s Empowerment and Child Protection (PPPA), the Witness and Victim Protection Agency (LPSK), and the National Commission on Child Protection to immediately provide ongoing psychosocial support to the victims.
The case came to light after a graduate victim spoke out about the indecent treatment by AS in 2024. With family support, the alleged sexual violence was then reported to the authorities in September 2024. However, more than a year passed without progress in resolving the case.
Several residents and victims demonstrated in front of the pesantren on Saturday (2/5).
The following day, on Sunday (3/5), the Pati Ministry of Religious Affairs office stated that the pesantren was recommended for temporary closure and could face permanent closure, while providing options for the current students and female students there.
Meanwhile, the police summoned suspect AS on Sunday. AS had actually been designated as a suspect in the alleged sexual violence case since 28 April.
“So regarding the determination of the suspect, it was set as a suspect on 28 April 2026, for the next steps we will carry out a summons (today). Later we will confirm the investigation and it will be conveyed to the media and the public,” said the Head of Operations of Pati Police Resort, AKP Dwi Atma Yofi Wirabrata, during a press conference after a coordination meeting with Acting Regent of Pati Risma Ardhi Chandra at the Pati Regency Pendopo, last Sunday.
His side admitted there were several obstacles in handling this case. Nevertheless, the police are committed to thoroughly investigating the rape case in the AS pesantren environment.
“The main point is that there are several concerns and attention regarding this pesantren case receiving full support for the investigation at Pati Police Resort in this case, so this case will continue to progress and colleagues will receive further information,” he explained.
At the same location, the Head of the Pati Regency Ministry of Religious Affairs Office, Ahmad Syaiku, said that AS established the pesantren in Tlogowungu Subdistrict in 2021.
Syaiku said he had issued three decisions regarding the alleged molestation incident at the Pati pesantren by one of its caretakers.
“From the Directorate General of Pesantren of the Ministry of Religious Affairs, there are three recommendations. First, temporary closure meaning that for this academic year it must not accept new students, second option the caretaker must indeed be separated from the foundation meaning not in that foundation. The third recommendation if indeed points one and two are not heeded then the Ministry of Religious Affairs will close it permanently,” said Syaiku.
Syaiku said that for grade 6 MI students who are taking exams, they will still take the tests accompanied by teachers and the Pati Ministry of Religious Affairs.
“For the grade 6 MI students because tomorrow Monday they start exams until 12 May 2025, the grade 6 children will remain there accompanied by