Palace Response to the Death of 3 TNI Soldiers in Lebanon
Jakarta, CNBC Indonesia - State Secretary Prasetyo Hadi has conveyed condolences over the deaths of three TNI soldiers who were carrying out a peacekeeping mission in Lebanon.
“On behalf of the President, we, the government, extend our deepest condolences,” Prasetyo said in a statement on Tuesday (31/3/2026).
Prasetyo also emphasised that the government has taken diplomatic steps through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to respond to the incident. In addition, the government has issued an official stance, in which Indonesia regrets the event and urges the relevant authorities to conduct a comprehensive investigation.
“Through the Foreign Minister as well yesterday, the government has conveyed its position, including regretting this incident while requesting the relevant authorities to carry out an investigation,” Prasetyo said.
Prasetyo revealed that his office has coordinated with several related ministries and agencies, including the Ministry of Defence, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and the TNI Commander, to ensure the best handling following the incident.
This coordination includes efforts to repatriate the bodies of the three soldiers to the homeland, as well as increasing vigilance for the Indonesian troops still on duty in the mission area.
“We, as the State Secretary, have also coordinated with the Minister of Defence, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, including with the TNI Commander, in carrying out the best efforts for the repatriation of the bodies of the three fallen soldiers, while providing briefings to all troops and soldiers still on the ground to increase vigilance,” he said.
The government emphasised that this incident is a profound sorrow for the Indonesian nation, as well as a serious concern in ensuring the safety of TNI personnel serving in international peacekeeping missions.
Previously, Foreign Minister Sugiono also urged the United Nations (UN) to immediately hold an emergency Security Council (SC) meeting following the deaths of Indonesian peacekeeping personnel due to an attack in Lebanon.
This was conveyed by Sugiono during a conversation with UN Secretary-General António Guterres on Monday (30/3) evening. In addition, Sugiono demanded a swift, transparent, and comprehensive investigation into the incident.
“We request the formation of an emergency Security Council UN meeting and a swift, comprehensive, and transparent investigation process,” Sugiono said, as quoted from an X account on Tuesday (31/3).
In that conversation, Sugiono also appreciated Guterres’ expression of condolences and the UN’s readiness to coordinate closely with Indonesia in investigating the incident.
At the same time, Sugiono held a telephone conversation with Lebanese Foreign Minister Yousef Raggi to convey Indonesia’s deep concerns over the attack in Lebanon, including the incident that killed Indonesian peacekeeping personnel.
Sugiono stated that both parties agreed to coordinate closely and follow up on several crucial steps in responding to the event.
In both conversations, Sugiono emphasised that the Indonesian government strongly condemns the attack that killed Indonesian personnel and underscores the importance of respecting the security and safety of UN peacekeepers.
“We strongly condemn the attack and underline the importance of respecting the security and safety of UN peacekeepers in accordance with international law,” Sugiono explained.
Previously, on Sunday (29/3/2026), an Indonesian peacekeeping personnel with the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), Corporal Farizal Rhomadon, was killed due to indirect artillery fire near Adchit Al Qusayr, southern Lebanon. The incident occurred amid escalating conflict between Israel and armed groups in the area.
The Ministry of Defence then confirmed the deaths of two other Indonesian personnel on Monday (30/3/2026) as the intensity of the conflict in the region increased.