NATO's Supreme Allied Commander Europe Considers Involvement in the Strait of Hormuz
Do I think about it? Of course. But there are no concrete plans yet until a political decision is taken, said General Alexus Grynkewich, the United States’ Supreme Allied Commander Europe for NATO, speaking to reporters, reported by AFP, on Wednesday, 20 May 2026. Previously, United States President Donald Trump had condemned NATO European allies for their response to the war against Iran, which has led to the Strait of Hormuz being closed. European countries led by Britain and France have been working hard to formulate plans for how they could help keep the vital strait open should the war end. So far, the NATO alliance has avoided direct involvement in the conflict — despite pressure from Trump. Each country is weighing its response, with many including Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, and the United Kingdom sending ships to the region, Grynkewich said. We all agree that this is in our interest to ensure freedom of navigation in international waters, he added. European diplomats within NATO have downplayed the prospect of the alliance taking a lead role in the strait given internal divisions. However, they say the alliance could be involved in several ways in any operation led by France or the United Kingdom if such an operation materialises. The closure of the Strait of Hormuz has had a major impact on global energy prices and is already starting to affect economies in Europe.