Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

NATO Shocked! Trump Threatens Major US Troop Withdrawal

| Source: CNBC Translated from Indonesian | Politics
NATO Shocked! Trump Threatens Major US Troop Withdrawal
Image: CNBC

Jakarta, CNBC Indonesia - US President Donald Trump has reiterated plans for a major reduction in American military forces in Germany. The number withdrawn could even exceed the 5,000 personnel previously announced by the Pentagon.

“We will reduce drastically, and we will reduce far more than 5,000,” Trump told reporters, without specifying the exact figure for the withdrawal, as quoted by AFP on Sunday (3/5/2026).

The Pentagon had previously stated that the reduction of 5,000 troops would be completed within the next six to twelve months. This step is deepening transatlantic relations tensions, particularly amid the Middle East conflict that has triggered differences in stance between Washington and its European allies.

The latest tensions emerged after German Chancellor Friedrich Merz stated that Iran had “humiliated” the US in negotiations. That statement has soured relations between the two countries. The NATO alliance has stated that it is coordinating with the US to understand the details of the policy.

“This adjustment underscores the need for Europe to continue investing more in defence,” said NATO spokesperson Allison Hart.

As of the end of 2025, there were 36,436 active US troops stationed in Germany, far more than in Italy (12,662) and Spain (3,814). German Defence Minister Boris Pistorius said that the withdrawal plan had actually been anticipated beforehand.

On the other hand, Trump’s policy is raising concerns domestically. Several Republican Party parliament members have warned of the strategic impact of the decision.

In a joint statement, Senator Roger Wicker and House Member Mike Rogers assessed the move as risking “sending the wrong signal to Vladimir Putin.” They emphasised that although European countries have increased defence spending, it will take time to build adequate military capacity.

This policy also coincides with Trump’s protectionist measures in the trade sector. The US government plans to raise import tariffs on cars and trucks from the European Union from 15% to 25% starting next week, citing violations of trade agreements.

Trump himself has long pushed European allies to be more independent in defence matters. He has even opened the possibility of withdrawing troops from other countries like Italy and Spain, which he views as not supporting US policies in the Middle East.

“Italy is not helping us at all and Spain is very bad,” Trump said. “Yes, maybe, I might do it. Why not?”

Meanwhile, German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul stated that Berlin is prepared to face the US troop reduction and is discussing it intensively within the NATO framework. However, he emphasised that the main US military base in Germany, such as Ramstein Air Base, still has a vital role.

According to him, the facility has “an irreplaceable function for the United States and for both of us.”

View JSON | Print