National Nutrition Agency Denies Purworejo Poisoning Case Linked to Free Nutritious Meals Programme
Dozens of residents of Trirejo Village, Loano District, Purworejo Regency, Central Java, experienced symptoms of food poisoning. The National Nutrition Agency (BGN) stated that the poisoning incident had no connection to the free nutritious meals (MBG) programme. BGN claimed the poisoning occurred after residents attended a kenduri, or ruwahan thanksgiving gathering, on Sunday, 15 February 2026.
Head of the Central Java SPPI Regional Office, Reza Mahendra, stated that the food consumed by residents came from catering independently ordered by the event organisers, not from a BGN-owned Nutrition Fulfilment Service Unit (SPPG) kitchen.
"We have conducted an investigation and confirmed that this incident did not originate from a BGN-owned SPPG. The event was a community kenduri with food from independently ordered catering," said Reza in Purworejo on Tuesday, 17 February 2026.
He noted that, according to the chronological report, residents consumed boxed rice meals from a catering service operated by a restaurant in Purworejo. The menu served included white rice, fried tempeh sambal, fried liver and gizzard sambal, potato fritters, fried chicken, and quail eggs.
The day after the event, a number of residents experienced symptoms of nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, and dizziness. Several underwent treatment at local health facilities. Dozens of other residents were examined and reported to be in improving condition.
Medical treatment was provided by healthcare workers together with the Purworejo Regency Health Office. Examinations were conducted to monitor patients' conditions whilst identifying the suspected source of food contamination.
BGN stated that clarification was necessary as information had been circulating linking the incident to the implementation of the MBG programme. The MBG programme is one of the government's priority agendas to improve community nutritional status through the provision of nutritious meals.
Reza urged the public not to rush to conclusions about the cause of the incident before official investigation results are released. "We support the investigation process by the Health Office so that the cause can be determined scientifically and transparently," he said.
BGN also called on the public to prioritise accuracy in disseminating information. Amid the expansion of the nutritious meals programme across various regions, food safety issues have become a sensitive concern that could affect public trust in government nutrition interventions.
At the time of writing, the Purworejo Regency Health Office was still conducting further investigations to determine the exact cause of the poisoning symptoms experienced by residents.
Head of the Central Java SPPI Regional Office, Reza Mahendra, stated that the food consumed by residents came from catering independently ordered by the event organisers, not from a BGN-owned Nutrition Fulfilment Service Unit (SPPG) kitchen.
"We have conducted an investigation and confirmed that this incident did not originate from a BGN-owned SPPG. The event was a community kenduri with food from independently ordered catering," said Reza in Purworejo on Tuesday, 17 February 2026.
He noted that, according to the chronological report, residents consumed boxed rice meals from a catering service operated by a restaurant in Purworejo. The menu served included white rice, fried tempeh sambal, fried liver and gizzard sambal, potato fritters, fried chicken, and quail eggs.
The day after the event, a number of residents experienced symptoms of nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, and dizziness. Several underwent treatment at local health facilities. Dozens of other residents were examined and reported to be in improving condition.
Medical treatment was provided by healthcare workers together with the Purworejo Regency Health Office. Examinations were conducted to monitor patients' conditions whilst identifying the suspected source of food contamination.
BGN stated that clarification was necessary as information had been circulating linking the incident to the implementation of the MBG programme. The MBG programme is one of the government's priority agendas to improve community nutritional status through the provision of nutritious meals.
Reza urged the public not to rush to conclusions about the cause of the incident before official investigation results are released. "We support the investigation process by the Health Office so that the cause can be determined scientifically and transparently," he said.
BGN also called on the public to prioritise accuracy in disseminating information. Amid the expansion of the nutritious meals programme across various regions, food safety issues have become a sensitive concern that could affect public trust in government nutrition interventions.
At the time of writing, the Purworejo Regency Health Office was still conducting further investigations to determine the exact cause of the poisoning symptoms experienced by residents.