Nadiem Thanks Supporters at Trial: I Do Not Feel Alone
JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com - Former Minister of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology (Mendikbudristek), Nadiem Makarim, feels that many people support him even though he is being demanded an 18-year prison sentence by prosecutors. Moments after the trial concluded at the Central Jakarta Corruption Court, Wednesday (13/5/2026), Nadiem immediately walked over to his family who had been waiting for him. Amid the spotlight of the media and his supporters present, Nadiem then conveyed a request for prayers to the Indonesian public. Not only for himself, but also for the former technology consultant of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology, Ibrahim Arief alias Ibam, who is also implicated in the case. “I only ask for prayers from our entire nation. I ask for prayers. Please pray for me, also for Ibam and his family, and also please pray for all the corruption detainees who are actually innocent,” he said. “I stand here for them too, not just me. So please pray,” Nadiem stated. Amid the pressing situation, Nadiem admitted that he still feels significant support from the public who have followed his career journey and policies in the education sector. He specifically thanked online motorcycle taxi drivers, teachers, and alumni of the Merdeka Belajar Kampus Merdeka (MBKM) programme. “Thank you to the ojol drivers, thank you to the teachers, thank you to all the MBKM alumni,” he said. “I do not feel alone standing here because there are you all,” Nadiem added. He described the public’s support as a moral strength that continues to sustain him during the trial. “I feel like my shoulder is being held by all the people who were part of our previous struggle. So thank you, I stand there alone but I do not feel alone. So thank you for this nation’s support,” he explained.