Nadiem Makarim Placed Under House Arrest with Detection Bracelet
The Attorney General’s Office has stated that the status of former Minister of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology Nadiem Makarim has been changed to house arrest in the case of alleged corruption in the procurement of Chromebook laptops.
Head of the Public Relations Centre for the Attorney General’s Legal Division Anang Supriatna said this was carried out in accordance with the order of the panel of judges to grant house arrest status for Nadiem in the trial.
“Last night, the prosecution team implemented the panel of judges’ determination, where NM was transferred to house arrest, and it was carried out by us last night,” he said during a press conference on Tuesday (12/5).
Even though he now has house arrest status, Anang said supervision of Nadiem will continue and will involve related security apparatus such as the Indonesian National Police.
“If he cannot leave the house without permission from the panel of judges and the prosecution. There must be permission,” he stated.
On the other hand, Anang said the Public Prosecutors (JPU) will also install a detection bracelet device for Nadiem during his house arrest.
“It should be yes (using a detection bracelet). As far as I know, there is an SOP that is usually used,” he said.
Previously, the Panel of Judges at the Jakarta Corruption Court granted the request for the defendant’s house arrest status for former Minister of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology Nadiem Makarim.
This was conveyed by the chief judge of the panel Purwanto S Abdullah in the continuation of the trial for the alleged corruption case of Chromebook laptop procurement at the Central Jakarta Corruption Court (Tipikor), on Monday (11/5/2026).
“Granting the defendant’s legal counsel’s request to change the type of detention for the defendant,” said Purwanto, during the trial on Monday.
The panel of judges then determined the transfer of Nadiem’s detention from the Salemba State Detention House Branch of the South Jakarta District Prosecutor’s Office to house arrest at his residence in the Dharmawangsa area, South Jakarta.
“Changing the type of detention for defendant Nadiem Anwar Makarim from detention at the Salemba State Detention House Branch of the South Jakarta District Prosecutor’s Office to house arrest at the defendant’s place of residence,” said the judge.
The judge stated that the defendant is obliged to stay at home 24 hours a day every day and is prohibited from leaving the residence for any reason, except for undergoing surgery on 13 May 2026, medical check-ups with written permission from the panel of judges, and attending trials.
Furthermore, the panel of judges opened the possibility of installing an electronic monitoring device on Nadiem if facilities are available at the Central Jakarta District Prosecutor’s Office.
In addition, said the judge, Nadiem is required to report twice a week to the public prosecutor, namely every Monday and Thursday from 10.00 to 12.00 WIB.
The panel of judges also ordered Nadiem to surrender all travel documents, including the Republic of Indonesia passport or foreign passports if any, no later than 1x24 hours after the determination is read.
Moreover, the judge prohibited Nadiem from contacting witnesses or other defendants in the case, either directly or through any communication media.
The panel of judges also prohibited Nadiem from making statements to the mass media without written permission from the court.