Nadiem Attends Chromebook Hearing Despite Not Being Recommended by Hospital Doctors
JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com - Former Minister of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology Nadiem Makarim admitted to forcing himself to attend the continuation hearing in the alleged corruption case regarding the procurement of Chromebook-based laptops, even though he was not recommended by doctors to engage in activities following his treatment.
“At the moment, I am actually still undergoing treatment in the hospital for preparations for surgery that will be carried out in a fairly short time,” said Nadiem during the hearing at the Jakarta Corruption Court, on Monday (4/5/2026).
Nadiem stated that the doctor treating him actually did not recommend that he leave the hospital.
However, Nadiem chose to attend anyway because he was not allowed to join the hearing remotely via Zoom.
Nadiem conveyed that the doctor instructed him to return directly to the hospital after the hearing concluded.
It is known that Nadiem has been hospitalised since 25 April 2026.
He underwent inpatient treatment until Sunday (3/5/2026), during which his detention was suspended while receiving care.
Before the panel of judges, Nadiem admitted to being ready to follow the scheduled hearings for the next three days.
After that, he would undergo treatment before the surgery.
Nadiem requested that the panel of judges allow his detention status to be transferred to house arrest.
“This is only until I recover, and after recovery, I am ready to return to the detention status in the facility, no problem, just so I can recover,” said Nadiem.
He had previously requested that the hearing be conducted remotely, but the panel of judges emphasised that the hearing would not proceed while Nadiem’s status was suspended.
The hearing continued with the agenda of examining experts and witnesses who provide favourable testimony for Nadiem.