Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Nabire Gold Mine Attacked by Armed Separatist Group, 198 People Evacuated

| Source: CNN_ID | Mining

Nabire Police Chief Senior Commissioner Samuel Tatiratu said a total of 198 people comprising independent miners and employees of PT Kristalin, including 26 Chinese nationals, had been evacuated from the gold mining site at Kali Musairo, Legari, Nabire, Central Papua.

Speaking to Antara on Sunday (22 February), Tatiratu said the evacuation was carried out to anticipate further attacks by the armed separatist group (KKB).

Previously, on Saturday (21 February), KKB fighters led by Aibon Kogoya had attacked PT Kristalin’s security post, resulting in two fatalities.

Regarding the evacuation, Tatiratu said PT Kristalin’s Chinese national employees were first registered at Makimi Police Station after being evacuated and were then accommodated at the company’s quarters in Sriwini, Nabire.

“The evacuation proceeded safely, but TNI-Polri personnel remain on standby and vigilant,” said Tatiratu.

According to him, sweeping operations to evacuate miners believed to still be in the area between Kilometre 40 and Kilometre 50 would be carried out on Monday (23 February) by the Damai Cartenz Operations Task Force.

The sweeping operations are intended to locate and evacuate the miners to protect them from further disturbances by the armed separatist group.

“Hopefully they are safe, especially from KKB disruptions,” he said.

View JSON | Print